Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the Characteristics of a 241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 11, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I've had a 203 and a 231 (in my jeep) but never a 241...
    behind a 700r4 in a 88-89 k5...

Can someone tell me a little about this case?

Range, what's it made out of, fluid, upgrades, is it sye?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Thanks!

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

241 has the lowest gear range of all the GM cases. IIRC it's somewhere around 2.4:1 low range. Aluminum case chain driven uses ATF for lube. I believe all of them came with slip yokes, but kits are available to fix that. Not sure on upgrades. I like mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

Is it only good upto a certain size tire?

Anyone rip one in half? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

2.72:1 low range, otherwise he is correct....

Wish mine didn't hang down so low....

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    all of them came with slip yokes, but kits are available to fix that.

[/ QUOTE ]

about to buy this one for my 241 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif about $300 at HAD. . . too bad i need another $500 for a shaft /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i like mine. . . even though i;ve only driven it about 50 miles with a bent tailshaft with cause the rear seal to leak /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good case if u get rid of the slip yoke. its light and has a nice'n'low low gear. The slip yoke is really its only weakness.

j

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

so being aluminum isnt bad...

I know the 231 can break in half if hit right...

So for a chain driven case it is pretty tough in a k5...?

8. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

difficult to shift into and out 4lo. at least thats what my parents 98 sub does. best trick is to move slow and pull fast into gear. otherwise great part. and what is it thats bad about a slipyoke on the tcase? i heard about conversions but dont understand the use. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    CHEVYs rule but GMCs are better
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Any K5 with a 241 should have a factory skid plate to help protect it from being bashed on rocks. The 4Lo shifting quirk isn't so bad if you actually shift into neutral like you're supposed to. The slip yoke tailshaft isn't as strong as a fixed yoke becuase of the leverage the driveshaft has on the end of the case. It's difficult for me to explain, but take a look at it and think about the stress your putting on it when you're at full droop and only have 2-3" of spline contact in the yoke. I think slip yokes were one of GM's biggest mistakes... but then again, they did make the 2.8 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    but then again, they did make the 2.8 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

three letters: G-S-X

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 241 is a GREAT case! I have one swapped into my 85' and I just had it rebuilt. It doesn't leak a drop and shifts perfectly. As far as getting it into and out of 4lo... just put the tranny in N and shift quickly and firmly into gear and give the shifter a good tap to knock it out of low and it will slide itself all the way to 2HI. I see your interested in it's strength. I think they are substantialy stronger or at least a better internal design than a 208. Heck they were even used in 1 tons for a few years! I think you will be fine with probably 40's and even some good horsepower. I wouldn't be affraid to run it in a pretty serious mud, hillclimbing, sand rig. That is basically what I do with my truck and I'm making some decent power with 35" boggers and never had a prob with it.Mine produces a little chain noise when in 3rd gear low range and going as fast as you can(for me about 20to 30MPH) Very good low range that IMHO isn't too high OR too low with a decent gear ratio. I would stay away from rocks with it ONLY because of it's aluminum housing, NOT as a strength issue.
    A lot of people hate the slip yoke. I't probably does suck for serious wheeling with lots of flexing. I wouldn't know about that because my rig isn't a flexer. I have spun my boggers on asphalt in 4lo pulling on something and haven't had a problem with the SY and I plan on keeping mine because it seems to be strong enough. A 241 doesn't compare to a 205 as far as strength but but if you don't have huge tires, LOTS of HP and don't do rocks I think the 241 is a better all around case with it's nice and low 2.72. Very good box in my opinion! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have to shut the truck off in neutral to shift out of 4 lo. Is there a different problem?

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Any K5 with a 241 should have a factory skid plate to help protect it from being bashed on rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sadly, GM chose to make the skid plate an extra cost option. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif When the correct box was checked off on the order form, then the factory would install a skidplate for the gas tank and one for the t-case.

But a skidplate is a MUST for rock crawling, especially with an aluminum case. Drop the weight of the rig on the t-case, right on a big rock and that aluminum case just won't support it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to shut the truck off in neutral to shift out of 4 lo. Is there a different problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try shifting the transmission into neutral while the truck is just barely rolling (we're talking maybe 1 MPH). Wait a second or two for any drivetrain windup to be relieved and THEN shift back to high range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree that the NP241 is a good case . There are several different versions and not all are created equal . If you find a good 241 and it has a different spline input than you need you can change it out to the one you desire. It seems that New Process or New Venture settled on a stout and reliable planetary arrangement and stuck with it in several cases . The input gear will interchange throughout several cases with a 2.72 gear reduction. For example - you could take a 27 spline case and a 32 spline case and change the inputs or change a GM version 241 and swap out a HUGE 29 spline GM or Dodge version if you had a NV 4500 or NV 5600 manual tranny and wanted to use a GM RH drop 241 case.

It is my opinion that the 241 is a good T/C and has a lot of upgrade and parts swaping ability . They are not as durrable as the 205 but it is a damn fine case itself .
    Good luck , Tom

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 241 in my '90 K5 has never been touched with the only problem currently being a slight leak at the rear output (new seal will take of this). The truck has been a trail-only rig for about 3-4 years now and is currently running 1-ton axles and 38" TSL's.

I have never had any problem shifting into or out of 4-low....just put the transmission in neutral and shift it. If you stop in the neutral position it does have a tendency to grind a little getting into or out of neutral. I just pull the shifter firmly through neutral and into 4 low. It is common for vehicles that don't get shifted into 4 low very often to have more problems (which is the majority of vehicles on the road). The shifter linkage and internal shift rails can get gummed up if never moved through the entire range.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are the 241 skidplates the same as the 208's?

If so, I don't know how valuabl they are. Put the weight of the truck on that AL (mine is, came off a 208 truck)skidplate and that thing will fold like a pop can. May save it from getting snagged on a rock, but won't help if the truck lands on it.

The earlier "3 piece" skid plate setup may hold up, but I doubt it will clear the drop of the later cases. Think that setup was used into the late 70's only.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    so being aluminum isnt bad...

I know the 231 can break in half if hit right...

So for a chain driven case it is pretty tough in a k5...?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing inherantly wrong with chain driven cases.. some of the BEEFY tcases they put in newer furd superdutys etc are chain driven arent they? with 550-600 ft pounds stock?

AFA aluminum cases go, if u have an aluminum tcase, run a skid plate... not rocket science. Hell, most of the rockcrawlin comp guys run an AL case (atlas) and its safe to say that they bash the bottoms of their rigs a bit.

j

19. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I have a '82 208 (i know this is slightly different) But i use an old '78 flat crossmember and v-shaped skid plate. It barely touches the 208 case...but i havn't had any problems with that. It tucks up tight and the tranny mounts are the same.
    Blake

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    nothing inherantly wrong with chain driven cases.. some of the BEEFY tcases they put in newer furd superdutys etc are chain driven arent they? with 550-600 ft pounds stock?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah! I don't think chevy even uses a gear driven case anymore. I might be wrong though. A lot of the borg warner cases are chain far as I know(superduties use borg) and I think dodge still basically uses the same stuff chevy uses.