Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the differences?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 26, 2002.

What kind of differences are on a diesel K5 compared to a gas K5? Bigger radiator? 24V or just two batteries? Better gas mileage? More torque, but less HP? Noisy and smokey? tranny more stout? How about cost to fix?
  1. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Aug 30, 2001
    For what it's worth, here's my experience (diesel 'Burb): Bigger radiator - generally yes, unless it's a military vehicle (unconverted to non-mil-spec) it just has 2 batteries running a 12V system, FUEL mileage is better (doesn't get GAS mileage /forums/images/icons/wink.gif - but you knew that), more torque and less HP - yes, noisy - yes, smokey - can be, most folks don't like driving directly behind me even if there is no visible smoke, the tranny (mine is 700R4) is no more stout than a gasser and in my case if it is not properly cooled the diesel will make short work of it, parts in my opinion are generally more expensive for a diesel (on diesel specific parts - for example, I've never had to pay close to $200 for a gas engine starter /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ) but for the most part seem to last longer. If anyone has more specific or better info, please chime in... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Hope this helps

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Jul 28, 2002
    Here are my experiences.

Previous truck was a 305 w/ 700r4.

Current is whats in signature.

Radiator is bigger, parts are more expensive but last a lot longer. To me diesel seems to run better than my 305. Has more power too. But that could be the 4.10 gears talking.

One major difference is you need to keep Diesels COOL. That means having good oil pressure, good coolant, good working radiator and thermostat. As far as noise, I had Glasspacks on my 305 and really cant tell a difference, the Diesel is loud at IDLE though. sorry if I'm not informative, i've only had the diesel for like 1 month and its my first /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But I'm liking it already /forums/images/icons/smile.gif mainly for the TORQUE. Its my in town driver and ranch truck so I'm in no need for high HP.
  3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Aug 5, 2002
    Yes the diesel military K5 was 24V but the civilian K5 is 12 volts, 2 batteries in parallel to have more power to turn the starter. And the cooling is more, I have a trans cooler an oil cooler and a bigger radiator on mine stock. The gassers don't have them only the in radiator tranny cooler which in my opinion sucks because if one thing overheats the other does too.
    I like my diesels for that, and the amazing torque you can get right off idle.