Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the downsides of synthetic rope?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MT wheeler, Aug 24, 2006.

1. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I am looking at replacing my cable with synthetic rope and was wondering if there were any downsides to synthetic.

Thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Only cons I can think of...

1) they ain't cheap
    2) they can be cut on rocks
    3) they can be damaged by heat/fire
    4) micro-scopic abrasion from dust and crap makes them a "wear item"... the rope will wear out and need to be replaced as dust gets into the strands and starts to fray it, its just a matter of time.

that said, its still by far the best option...

j

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Ive wondered about how they handle water and elements. Being in mud and water would cause mold and deteriate the cable..... Anyone have any experience?

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My disclaimer, I do not have synthetic rope so this is just an observation.

In the mud that we run around here its got lots of silt, It will destroy a towstrap very quickly, it also seems to be somewhat acidic. I would think rope might be a disadvantage in mud unless you were willing to replace it every couple of years or be extremely diligent in rinsing it off. Thats the only downside I really can see to rope

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

water isn't a problem at all... Amsteel was designed for use in harsh salt-water conditions. Ocean-going ship rope was the original application.

Mud is a problem, in that it will inevitably get flung all over the rope and bring those tiny bits of gritty dirt that will wear the rope. IMO the benefits of rope outweight the "wear issue". If you are super religous about always cleaning it up really well (unspool all the way, really hose it down etc) it should last quite a long time.

This is why most people get 3/8" rope... its actually overkill from a strength perspective, but allows the rope to last longer. A little wear and it'll still be plenty strong.

j

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've been using winch rope for years. if it gets muddy I pull it out and give it a big hosing off. I also have the rope guard and have never cut it.

The only drawback is on a hard pull it can pull into itself on the drum and getting it back off takes some effort.

Well worth getting IMHO.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A few guys I know run it. Once recently broke his rope but it's in a place where it got rubbed on a rock pretty bad a few years ago. From the reports I hear all it did was flop to the ground exactly like it's supposed to.