Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT ARE THE LIFT LAWS IN YOUR STATE??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Here in oregon, it is pretty laxed. we have a bumper law, not sure how high, but it is rarely enforced. As long as you have mud flaps you usually don't get messed with. The tallest truck in town is a short wide chevy on 44s with 23 inches total lift.
    He rarely get's pulled over.

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Far as I know, AZ only has a mudflap requirement. It could have changed since last time I looked (about 10 years ago)

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Here in Arkansas, I don't think we have any regulations regarding lift, bumpers, mudflaps, or doors. We don't even have inspections any more.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <font color=white>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</font color=white>

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the state of IL, but local city ordances
    are I think around no more than 4". In the early eighty's
    a kid with 12" of lift ran over a little car and killed everyone
    in the car. they said it was because he could not see them
    so they made a ordance

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Brian-
    As far as I know there is no longer a bumper law, but the state is trying to pass a new one. We do have headlight height laws which is 54" from the center of the light to the ground. the mud flaps have to cover the full width of the tire and have to hang within 20"s of the ground. tallest truck in the area here is a 2000 F*rd Stupid Duty with 44's and he sits about 4 to 5" above them.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

If Nevada still enforces the bumper law it is 24 inches from the ground. But they never enforce it anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Adam,
    79' Jimmy, 35" Big O MT's, 350, NP205

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Another Oregonian here
    Around here they don't seem to mess with no one.
    But then again no one has any outragiosly(sp) lifted rigs either.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got pulled over in WA state with my Jimmy. I was told the bumpers can't be more than 30" from the ground. The guy insisted my truck was too 'big' and had way too much lift...

The funny part is my bumper is only 28" off the ground...

Here in BC if you lift any vehicle more than 4" you're required to have it inspected. I think we have the headlight height maximum at 54" as well. We also have the mudflap requirment...I rarely get bothered about not having them though.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

Utah lift laws go by weight of the vehicle. Under 5000 lbs. the lowest spot of the frame can be 24" of the ground. 5001 to 7500 lbs. is 26" and over 7501 lbs. can be 28". Isn't all that bad my '83 has 4" tuff country and 33's, and I only measure 21". Oh Yah, you can also have the body sit up to, not more than 4" off the frame. The way I figure I could go like 6" lift with 37's and still have an inch to spare, plus if I wanted I could still put a body lift on. Of course don't forget the mudflaps that must be as wide as the tire and go to the center of the wheel.

10. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Here is Mississippi they don't seem to mess with anyone. We have trucks with 44 boggers that clear them with 12"+ suspension lift and 3"+ body lifts. But according to an article in 4wheeler mag MS has a 6" suspension lift law. HMMMM??? I've got 13 1/2"! No trouble yet!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,39.5 Boggers for wheeling!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

24" here for smaller than 1/2 ton vehicles
    27" for 1/2 and 3/4 tons
    1 tons can run whatever they want
    No body lift more than 3"

Other than that there are no laws in Illinois specific to lifts. Numbers above are bumper height. I think I'm at 25".

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

According to the guy who inspected mine, the police can't do anything us here in MO. The bumber height law is only enforceable by the DOT. I have not had any problems - yet.

'85 Blazer... 9" lift... 35-12.50 BFG AT's...LOTS of rust

13. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Ready for this:
    (1) Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.

(2) Headlights shall be mounted no lower than 22" nor more than 54" above the ground.

(3) Taillights shall be mounted no lower than 15" nor more than 72" above the ground.

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

(5) License plates must be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 48" above the ground.

(6) Brake lines and hoses must be protected from excess heat and vibration. They must be mounted in a manner to prevent chafing, undue wear, stress, or unintentional disconnection.

(7) Vehicles originally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less then 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.

(8) Maximum tire diameter allowed will be 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less.

(9) All tires must be the same size. Maximum tire pressure as stated on tire is recommended. Front tires must be at least 60% of the thread width of the rear tires.

(10) Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire thread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown.

(11) Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture.

(12) Exposed exhaust system components and moving parts must be shielded.

(13) Ballast must be securely mounted.

(14) Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius.

(15) Spacers to increase track width are prohibited.

(16) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4500 lbs and under... 7" above original vehicle height.

(17) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs... 9" above original vehicle height.

(18) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 7501 - 10,000 lbs... 11" above original vehicle height.

(19) No blocks are allowed on the front suspension

Welcome to NJ. I cant go more than 7" height.

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Here in MD, law is Front and rear bumber, no more than 28" off the ground. Also, tires can't stick out farther than a Quarter (coin) pass the fender. I think my truck is considered illegal here. But, they really don't give a hoot.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

15. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

They did a short article in Peterson's a few months back that gave the basics from state to state, i remember seeing it a night ago or so, In CA its supposed to be something like up to 6000 lbs GVRW a 24" frame height, and 6001 up 30", now my question is what part of the frame? the rail? the cross member? the skidplate? Who interprets this stuff?

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

16. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Tennessee is just, that the body cant be any higher than 4" off the frame.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

17. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    im in alabama, suposedly there is a headlight hight rule but ive never even heard of it being enforced. im not even sure if it exists. basicly if it rolls you can put a tag on it and drive it here.

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

In PA, the bottom of your front bumper can be no higher than 30 inches and a little higher for the back.

I am not sure about OH(where my vehicles are registered)...

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Probably the lowest part of the frame, which I'd think, would be the bumper or where the bumper mounts.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Here in Virginia it is something to the effect of 4500# and lower 26" from the bottom of the front bumper to the ground and 4500# and higher is 27" from the bottom bumper to the ground.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</A>