Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the major differences between oil and oiless compressors???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Apr 16, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifMy Brother says to get an oil, because their quieter, if thats the entire reasoning behind them then WTF, it's going in it's own little room in the shop???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the major differences between oil and oiless compressors???

[/ QUOTE ]

One as oil one doesn't... Sorry, couldn't help myself... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oiless compressors have smaller displacements, so they spin the living crap out of them to get a decent CFM rating. And yes, they are deafening to be near. The difference is VERY noticeable. The oiless type are basically just an upsized version of those POS compressors that plug into a cigarette lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge (ok, setting self up for failure!!), the oilless ones use a teflon lined chamber. This allows for the piston to move without siezing up. They are normally cheaper and are considered disposable. I've heard of some people replacing the teflon insert, but I don't know for sure. The oil ones will typically last alot longer as long as you change the oil. I change mine once a year, but I only use it 8-10 hrs a month average. I bought the small vertical (26 gal I think) Husky AC & I love it. However, when I work on my trucks, I can only get 2-4 lugs loosened/tightened before the ac kicks on & I need to wait for pressure. I'm looking for a new larger one, but other priorities first.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One as oil one doesn't... Sorry, couldn't help myself...

[/ QUOTE ]

And this sir is what we pay $25 per year for! LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    One as oil one doesn't... Sorry, couldn't help myself...

[/ QUOTE ]

And this sir is what we pay $25 per year for! LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Don't you feel like you got your moneys worth.. How bye the way.. The one that is oilless.. That's the one with out oil... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What difference does it make if your electrician can fry either one in 5 minutes? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My 1 gallon oil less compressor for my air brush is louder then my 60 gallon oil one.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Unless it has its own insulated room, the noise is maddening. Mine does, and it is still anoying. I've had my Craftsman (5hp/25gal) for 6 years and it still works great, but if I knew then what I know now I would have spent the money on an oil type. All industrial types are oil lubed. My dad's had his normal (oil type) Craftsman (20gal/???hp) for over 30 years. The big one in his shop is much older, but its 3 phase and has a tank over 100gal. As always YMMV.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had my Craftsman (5hp/25gal) for 6 years and it still works great,

[/ QUOTE ]
    I bought one of those back around '92 or so. After it finished filling the air tank the first time and finally shut off, I unplugged it, drained the air, and took it right back to Sears. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I told them that the damn thing should come with "Hearing Protection Required" stickers! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

The next day I bought a Sanborn 5 HP dual piston oil-type compressor and it still works great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    bought one of those back around '92 or so. After it finished filling the air tank the first time and finally shut off, I unplugged it, drained the air, and took it right back to Sears. I told them that the damn thing should come with "Hearing Protection Required" stickers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I would've had enough sense to do that when I got mine. I have a Craftsman 5.5hp, 33 gal and that damn thing is LOUD! Good thing it's about 75ft away from the truck, or else I'd be deaf...

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Me too, like I said if I knew then... If it wasn't in a seperate room I probably would have.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So something like this one???? craftsman... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

or this??? cambell... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif