Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what are the symptoms of a bad torque converter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, May 2, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

When I am going up hill, I am losing power. I checked for vacuum leaks, fuel pump is new, carb is new, manifold is new, timing is good. Could it be the torque converter? a couple of years ago when I had the trani rebuilt, I was broke so I told them to leave the old convertor on. Could this be going bad?
    What ya think?

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

It the converter was going bad it would start slipping increasing the RPM while the speed remains constant. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I am having to push the throttle in more to maintain speed. Anybody else have problems with a torque converter that can share symptoms.

4. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Sometimes they
    Shutter, making a loud noise and viabrate

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most typical converter problems are failure to move the vehicle, or a "grinding" noise in park. Either the vanes break off, probably killing the whole tranny as pieces get whipped around, or the thrust bushings(?) wear out, and thus a grinding noise.

I'd *really* doubt a converter would fail any other way, short of the converter clutch lockup if so equipped, but typically if TCC gets messed up, the vehicle will stall when you come off the highway, because the converter stays locked up. Under heavy throttle position, the converter *should* unlock if the TCC is working correctly.

More than likely its something else IMO. Converters, proportioning valves, and ECM's are probably the top 3 items I see blamed, which then almost always turn out to not be faulty.

Doesn't hurt to test the converter lockup functions, but other than that, I'd not worry too much about it.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

When mine went bad, from a stop at a stop sign, it would seem like it hadnt shifted back into first. It felt exactly like a std in 2nd or 3rd gear. But the tranny would still shift twice(TH400) up and twice down. The vehicle ran fine at speeds above 30mph tho.

Mike

7. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

just a note, when you put an old converter on a new tranny
    you can contaminate it with debris from the old tranny,
    ive heard many a horror stories from people making the same mistake,burning trannys out right away,doesnt sound like your problem though, good luck'

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I may just have it changed to be sure. I recently changed the filter and trani fluid and it was clean/clear of any debris. How hard is it to change a converter? Maybe I will just take it in to have it changed. I am down to the small stuff with this truck after a long winter of working on it. Getting close though /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont think its your converter.A slipping stator will cause major bog off the line and gradualy pick up speed,eventualy.With a stuck stator,accelloration is normal but,its like your driving with a parachute behind your truck.You will reach a certain speed,prolly less than 50mph or so and not be able to go any faster no matter how much gas ya give it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif