Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are these on my springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddin_Mavric, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I just bought my first K5 blazer and its a 83 with a 305 and some bald 31 ATs and i would like to replace them with some 33x12.5 MTs. And well first off i would like to know if add a lefs will work with what ever those things are that are on both the front and back side of my front leves and only on the back of the rear lefs(i incleded pics below). or are those all ready add a lefs? it also has duel shocks in the front and all shocks are rancho 5000s.

it seems to sit about the same height as my uncles 87 with 31s. Will add a leafs work with those things? And also will 33 fit with add a leafs or will i need at least 4" of lift? its has some running boards on it that look like they might get in the way a bit. I would like to get the tires on for less than $500 and i know a guy that says he can find me some tires with decent tred left for $300. if they are on good rims it might be more.

this thing is very rust free so i wont be taking it off road just to beat it ever so as long as the tires dont chew up my fenders going in and out of driveways in town i will be happy.

And also how much ruffer will add a lefs make it ride? it is all ready bumpy but i can stand it as long as it dont get much worse. or are those shocks the reasone it rides like that. I have read on here that those shocks are not that great but i dont really remember why. One more thing (hopfully the last) this thing seems to have no body roll at all and i like it. With my little gmc jimmy i use to drive, when you went around a corner it felt like you were about to tip over but this one dont do that at all, Is that because of the shocks, or extra springs, or are these big blazers just like that because there more like a truck instead of a car?

well sorry its kinda long, Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Justin Behr
    Berhs@tznet.com

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

those are helper springs/add a leafs.

rides rough, huh??

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Got any teeth left? MY GOD that thing has got to ride like a brick. Lifting wheels when you go over curbs?
    Loose them.
    With trimming you can fit 33's on stock rims with no lift as long as you keep the sway on it's shouldn't scrub. Loose the over loads for sure.
    If your wanting to lift it I would go with a 4 inch EZ ride spring in the front. 4 Inch ORD shackle flip in the rear and a 2 inch block to get it level. I would also get the ORD sway correction/dissconnects. It will ride pretty good. If you plan to tow then you might want to give up some ride quality and go with a 6 inch rear spring. Shackle flips really soften up the rear and it not so go for towing. ORD Steering brace is also a really good idea. Makes a big differnce in the steering. If your a CK5 Member ORD has discounts. Get you a bag of chips and a drink and a cussion for your but. Then do a search on Lift's, Fender trimming, shackle flips in the menu bar at the top and you will pull up about a day's worth of reading material.
    Here is a link to ORD. www.offroaddesign.com. Tell Stephen that Grim sent ya. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    He's a super nice guy and very helpfull. He came in second in the 2001 Tough trucks deal in Four Wheeler. He has the truck most of us aspire too. He also has a Forum here and plenty of good information if you scan through it.
    Welcome to CK5.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BTW. Rancho 5000's are about the stiffest junk on the market. 2 of them on the front is insane. Loose the outside set and that will soften the front up some. with two front shock you run two softer sets. the reason behind this is shocks fade. The stiffer they are the worse it gets. So running two sets of soft means you are working th shocks less hard, less fade so it works out better. Problem is most companies do not have a 2 shock apllication and most people don't understand the concept and put on to really stiff shocks. The factory orriginal shock pair were probably a lighter valve rate than one of those 5000's.

5. Muddin_Mavric

ok thank you guys very much i will try a search when i got more time.

I really didnt want to spend money on a lift and was hoping to get by with add a lefs and no triming. This thing has no major rust and i will not trim the fenders! and i was kinda planin on towing a 3 or 4 place snowmobile trailer with it. and if i would ever spend money for new springs i would want at least 35's. but i aint got that much to spend right now.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and i will not trim the fenders!

[/ QUOTE ]

If i had a nickle for everytime I heard that only to see fender hacking later.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif I'd be able to afford a D60 front end./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

7. Muddin_Mavric

You aint gettin no nickle from me!

i am serius (even though i cant spell it) i wont trim the fenders at least not till its a rusted out piece of crap and there is bearly any fenders left to trim in like 10 years, then i might think about it.

it does look like i might need to trim the front part of the running board that goes inside the fender. but thats it! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can have my nickel next spring when I get my 38s. I said I'd never hack and I've got 6 and 3 now so 9" of lift and I bet I'll still have to hack my fenders. I don't care, it's worth it now.

As to you putting mud terrains on that thing, don't do it. You sound like someone that needs an all terrain or road tread tire. If you're not going to off road, you don't need the noise and rapid wear of a mud tire.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you don't plan on off-roading your great looking truck, heres my advice.

Leave the lift off, and go with the BFG AT 33x10.5R15's on your stock wheels.

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/front33.jpg and http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/rear33.jpg show those tires on my truck with no lift, and before the ad-a-leaf in the rear corrected the 2" of sag.

Its never a guarantee that one tire will fit on someone elses vehicle even though it fits on yours, so I gotta throw that disclaimer out there. However, most tire shops have no problem mounting the tires and either testing, or letting you test, to see if they will rub. With stock suspension and wheels (I really like that wheel design we have), these tires just won't rub on my truck.

This is my opinion, but I am *not* impressed seeing a truck I know never goes off road, driving around with huge meaty tires, and a 4" plus lift, showing off the wimpy ten bolts like they are something to be proud of. I *much* prefer a great looking K5 with tires that fit in the wheelwells, but fill them up. (as you can probably tell from my pics : )

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

If you end up getting rid of those helper springs, I'll take them! I need a set for my tow rig! Let me know! Thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

With as much sag as those springs have even with the helpers I think you need new springs.

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

id suggest going with 32x11.50 size . i had those on my unlifted p/u forever and i never rubbed and they looked good nuff for me and i did wheel the thing all over /read BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT . hahah well thats my input for now and plus you wont need lower axle gears as bad also .