Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are these wires for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dale fan, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of changing rear bumpers on my 90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and noticed a wad of wires tied up between the tank and the bumper. There's a two piece one that's red and blue and a couple of black ones. One has a split coming out for my license plate light. There's a hitch on it but no trailer light hook-ups. These are 3-4 feet long and tied up like the factory did it with some, dissconnect before tying, warning tags on them. Any ideas?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Normally, there are wires for the power tailgate and license lamp in that area. I think there is a two-way connector and a one-way connector for the tailgate, using heavy gauge wire. If that is not it, then chances are it is trailer wiring. It could have been put there from the factory as part of a towing package or installed aftermarket by a previous owner. What is the connector on it like?

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Going by the colors I'd guess for the tailgate....my tailgate wires are blue and reddish orange.

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Ok, I guess they are for the gate. They are heavy and red and blue. I thought they might have been for a trailer hook-up but they were awful heavy duty for trailer wires. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's the trailer wiring that is part of the factory towing package. Since there are so many different trailer connectors available, the factory just runs the wires back there so they'll be handy when the time comes to install the correct connector. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The 2 big wires are power and ground that can be used to charge batteries in the trailer while driving. The bigger trailer connectors have connections to wire in the charging circuit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Well does anyone make one of those trailer quick hook-ups for these or do you have to buy a generic and cut and splice?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your '90 is new enough to have the Weather Pack connectors back at the tail lights, so you should be able to find one of those plug-and-play connectors that just plugs into the existing wiring. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That approach worked great for me. 5 minute install. Tapps off the tailight signals.