Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are you all doing for guage setups?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I want to get some 2 1/16" autometers to go in the stock bezel but I heard it was tough to do. I also found some good deals on stock guage setups on ebay. What are you guys doing? Pics if you got em.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

just went through this. i beleive my gauges are 2 5/8 though. the other ones were to small for the stock locations.

here are some pics. i recommend investing in a roto zip. it saved my life on this project

gauge.jpg

gauge1.jpg

gauge2.jpg

gauge3.jpg

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No pics yet , but I did the exact same thing to the project truck . With 2 1/16 gauges I didn't have to trim anything , just stuck them in and used the clamps that came with them . They stick out just a hair , and with the cluster lens cut on the gauge side , fit right over the white plastic cluster and the wires and hoses go right out the lamp holes :grin:

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

would like to see some pics when you get them. my 2 1/16 stuck out a lot without cutting the tube at the back of the bezel

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

small ones are 2 5/16 size fit great and big are 5" size. autometer phantoms

gauge cluster 104.jpg

gauge cluster 105.jpg

gauge cluster 108.jpg

phantom dash 101.jpg

phantom dash 103.jpg

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

right on , thats the size. 2 5/16

7. pauly383

I'll try to get some pics when I get home . They are off brand gauges , but same 2 1/16 cup size :k5: :k5:

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do you get it to pass smog? I need to retain the message area under the gas gauge for inspection purposes.... :mad:

9. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

doesnt pro comp make a set that replaces the huge gas guage with a tach and puts the fuel guage in the empty spot?

10. pauly383

This my low buck gauge setup , I have not much into it .

1. 70's cluster , got with the gauges I bought off ebay to repair my 83's temp gauge . I like this cluster piece , it has a big hole for the original oil gauge hose to go through , I think everything could go through there .

2. 83 dash bezel , came with my rusty 83 ( I have 2 83's , one dead , one nice kinda ) which gets a 78 tub this week . I also have an 83 gas gauge if I need the unleaded fuel only script on the 78 tub .

3. $9.99 Harbor freight gauges bought Friday ( saw their flyer ) . And at that price if they break , I don't care . I have a stock mech oil for in case :grin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I dont have any pics because my work doesnt look any different than anyone elses. I just got done cutting my instr. panel to fit 2 5/8 AutoMeter gauges. I ran a dremel around every "cup" inside the stock panel and just smoothed each hole down so the whole thing looked flat, then used a fat sandin wheel and went around the opening just a tad, the 2 5/8's gauges all slid right into place, no fancy hand work, just a cut off wheel, fat sander wheel and 30 minutes I was done.

12. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here are the gauges I have in my 69. I have swapped the speedo to the otherside since taking this pic.

[​IMG]