Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are you doing when your poly bushings break

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 30, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

After my first real wheeling trip with all the modifications done I am driving home and find out the hard way I broke a poly spring bushing. Are you guys/gals going back to rubber bushings or buying Energy Suspensions? Mine are the notorious ORD Daystars.

The bushing that broke was the smaller diameter ones on the back of the front spring. Are people having problems with the big ones breaking too?

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I've had the worst luck with ORD bushings. It would bust at the front end of the springs, the top of the front shackles would bust and the bottom of the rear shackle spring would bust.
    After I bust these ORD replacement bushing I have (1 wheeling trip is usually all it takes), I'll replace them with ES and see if that helps. I've ran ES in the past in my old truck and they seem to be much harder compound...
    Boss

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This is one of the reasons I won't go with poly. (other being the squeaks)

To me it sounds like they are TOO hard. If they were soft like rubber, they'd just deflect, but instead they break. Those bushings see a lot of "side load" and if they can't deflect, that pressures gotta be taken up by something else.