Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what are you guys running for sandblasters?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by beater_k20, Dec 14, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i just spent an entire 8 hour day playing with a sandblaster. it was a huge mess, and when i came home from work i had sand in places that i didnt even know sand could go. however, in 8 hours, i took a rusty old RV chassis, and made it look like brand new. i want one of these things! what do you guys have? not looking for a blast cabinet (although i may later purchase one, and adapt my blaster to work with it), as my first project i'd want to tackle with it is my K1500 frame. quotes around here for getting it blasted went anywhere from $250-400.

i can get this blaster locally.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=597&sonID=597&page=1&productID=242
    [​IMG]
    its real similar to the unit i used today, and i liked its operation pretty well.

any thoughts or input?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Just wondering, what kind of setup do you need? PPE? Can you just do it outside?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have two of those sandblasters that you have pictured. They are great for getting into places you can't get with a DA sander, or trying to take it down to metal. You need a LOT of air though, even for that little tank. I have to hook two big gas powered compressors together with a total of about 100 gallons of air capacity and still wish I had more air.

Also, invest in a decent hood, the one that comes in that setup sucks. 10 minutes into blasting with it and you can't see squat.

I hate sand blasting, because of the fact I find sand in places it shouldn't be.:doah:

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have the HF 110 pressurized blaster. For the most part the compressor keeps up with it. The one you pictured has a much better gun. I will replace mine some day with that type. The biggest PITA is stopping to refill the sand.

I will either buy or build a cabinet one day. My gravel driveway looks like a day at the beach. I may also break down and buy a Supplied fresh Air Respirator sandblast Hood system.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They work great,but its a sucky job...

I just did 2 snowplow blades and frames with one just like in that picture...I wasn't very impressed with it--takes forever to refill thru that dinky opening,and I spent more time taking it apart to unclog the valves and hose than I did sandblasting..:mad: glad I wasn't the one who paid for it!..

I guess "Black Beauty" sand is too course for that one,it worked much better with "Play Sand" I got at Lowe's for kids sandboxes,its a finer sand like a beach has..that said,I spent more time waiting for the compressor to catch up than I did actual sandblasting,and it was a 5 hp 60 gallon one,not a lightweight!..sandblasting IS the absolute best way of removing ALL the rust though,even down in the pits and pores of the metal though..But it sucks having sand even where the sun dont shine,and getting dust in your eyes..----in the end,I used an air drill with a wire brush to do most of the rust removal,,so I could get them done before spring!.:doah:

We had a larger one at the junkyard--it held a whole 100lb bag and then some--needed a huge compressor to run it though..a gas powered one that you can tow behind a truck like they use for jackhammers is the best one for sandblasting...plenty of CFM's,and portable,no electricity required..but we got by with the usual shop compressor OK,just had to wait a lot for pressure to build..you can kill a compressor fast sandblasting,it runs constantly,and is sucking dust in too,so keeping it away from the blasting area is a good idea..

I'd say save your money and buy an "ALC" sandblaster that is pressure fed,and holds at least 100 lbs of sand..those "China" ones are OK for light duty,but I've already discovered you cant get much for parts for them--you have to adapt other brands to them if you need a new gun,etc..I'd avoid "Siphon Feed" sandblasters,the pressurized ones are WAY better..

We copied the ALC blaster we had at the boneyard, and made one nearly identical out of a 100 lb propane cylinder...cut off the top and inverted it,welded it back on,cut the center out and made a "plug" out of a small block chevy harmonic balancer pulley that we welded the bolt holes shut,and added a handle to its center hole--used inner tube rubber for a gasket to seal it...welded in bungs just like the ALC unit had and installed ball valves from Home Depot..
    ....it worked as good or better than out "store bought" ALC unit did,and I liked using it better than that one..I put the whole thing on an old lawnmower deck so it could be wheeled around--it was well worth building it..:crazy:

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did many mixers, D-9's, Tri-axles, etc back at the resto shop... Probably about 25 by me...

900 lb Titan unit. A beast..

run by a giant IR tagalong, was about 40 g's back then... something a couple feet longer than this one..

[​IMG]

That thing had cajones.. like a fire hose.. it would cut cement block in 1/2, in about 30 seconds...

It would take ya about 10 hrs to do a mixer, from axles to barrel... If it wasn't such a dirty process, I kinda find it fun to do... :bow: Tho your life-expectancy as a sandblaster is like a decade.. :doah: That sh*t'll kill ya quick... :eek1:

Kinda like fiberglass work, if it wasn't for the messy stickiness of it all, it'd be hella fun... :wink1:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's why you wear a respirator, and good heavy clothes. :deal: the mess isnt really an issue for me, being that i'd be saving a bunch of money. makes me clean up the garage a little more often too. :haha:

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whenever I blast I do it right in front of my shop or in my equipment yard, all the sand gets used again as a decent ground cover to keep from sinking in mud.

10. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

If you go this route, Harbor freight has a deadman valve that's supposed to work better than the ball valve (I still use the ball valve). Also, cut about 2" off the small tapered end of the refill funnel to open the hole up, the sand will flow twice as fast when you're refilling. It's been a good blaster for me. I've blasted 4 dump truck bodies with it, along with numerous small parts.