Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are you looking for in a power steering pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Pretty soon I am going to build a test stand/dyno for power steering pumps. I will be testing them for flow and pressure. I'm going to start with a stock rebuilt pump (that I will rebuild) and start modifying it. I'll probably start with the standard modded pump stuff, and progress from there. And I've already got a head start on higher quality seals and whatnot.

Basically I would have three models: a stock rebuild with high quality seals (maybe a little pressure/flow bump), a mid grade pump for hydro assist (as much pressure as a stock steering box can take) and then a pump for hydro steering (perhaps custom built on a case by case basis).

But once I get everything up and running I will need some beta testers. Perferably somebody with a running truck that can give me imediate feedback and would fit my three levels of pumps. Any takers?

I only need a few more things to complete the stand, and I expect it to be up and running in the next month and a half or so.

Any other suggestions?

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Build them to withstand increased flow period. I have heard of a few peoples pumps failing because they increased the flow using the WTO method but apparently they went to big.

I don't know if we will fit your beta tester but we would definatley be interestered in representing your finished product.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Don't forget those of us running hydroboost. More options are always good. I need a pump that handles hydro assist, hydroboost, and oh-yeah, the regular power steering...

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

That's something I will be working on as well. Although I feel that a standard saginaw pump may not be up to it.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I had completely forgotten about hydroboost. I will add that to the list of things to do.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Just looking for some more feedback.

Anything else to add?

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll test one built for hydro boost, hyrdo assist, crossover and slightly oversized tires. I'm running a pump from an h1 (don't really know if there is a difference) and I did the flow and spring mod on it. Also I need to put a new pump on my FIL K30 welding rig. Its stock steering with hydro boost and the truck weights about 8000lbs. It sees alot of highway miles and nasty mud holes from the job sites, he's a pipeline welder. Lots of times he has to be towed in and out with trackhoes.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I've got an H1 pump to test here. But I will need some pumps and maybe some pulleys. Right now I have everything to setup for an o-ring pump and need to get fittings to test the older flare fitting pumps. I've got a serp crank pulley but I don't have a serp pulley for the pump. I guess it would be easier to set up with a v-belt, but I don't know if the pulley diameter's are different.

I'd also like to investigate this pump:

http://www.sandstruck.com/catalog/powersteering/powersteeringsaginaw03.htm

The one on the bottom. Perhaps the guts could be installed into a saginaw pump or make an adapter to bolt in place of the saginaw.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Still working on this. I haven't found a suitable motor or the means to drive one yet. I lost an auction for a three phase motor and the single to three phase converter. I have actually had to work the last four weeks which has really cut into my "free" time at work. At anyrate, I'm working on the fixturing for mounting the pump and the flowmeter/pressure setup.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Work continues. Slowly but surely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]