Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are your experiences with 38.5x11.00 boggers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kickinasphalt383, Mar 21, 2002.

1. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i hear tons of people of say that 38.5x11.00 boggers are not good because they are too narrow. Then I hear that they are awesome because they get to the bottom because they are narrow.

can anyone THAT OWNES/OWNED THEM tell me how they work in the different conditions:mud/snow/sand/rocks(i am mainly lookin at mud+snow). and how you liked them overall and would you recommend them

thanks

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Have you actually seen them on a truck? I would imagine they would look pretty funky.
    My truck way be more than one color, but it's tires are wider than 11"
    -- Mike

3. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

they look like pizza cutters..

4. biltntboght

biltntboght Registered Member

I have 11x38.5 Boggers and love them. They don't look bad on my Blazer and they dig like a mo-fo. I noticed that they don't stick way out and blow mud all over the side of the truck. They aren't the quietest or the best riding tire but you have to pay for traction. They go good in snow because they don't float like super wide tires. Also good in the rain because of the width. I also noticed that just a couple of spins and you either go forward or get buried. Usually forward. My friend has a set of wide swampers on his Bronco and these tires out perform them here in Ohio. I don't think they would be good in deep sand thou because there is no bottom to dig to. I don't think you could go wrong buying them.

Todd

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

At our club's last trailride we had several trucks show up with the 38x11 Boggers and several with various other wider sizes of Swampers, I was hoping to see them in action and compare how they did. I really only got to see one truck try a hill climb that had loose dirt and rocks. They definitely would dig holes pretty quickly but seemed to grip good. Unfortunately the guy had some engine problems on the hill and didn't get very far, and rest of the group with him decided to turn around also.

As far as them being skinny.....yeah, they look skinny in relation to the 38" height but there are tons of people running 12.50 wide tires, which are just very slightly wider than the 38x11 Boggers, and they don't complain about them too skinny. Also remember that the larger diameter of the tire will give a bigger footprint than say a 32x11.50.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Michelin 38.5 Lode E military tires would be a better bet, from a guy i know's experience. Wear better, more void and do really well in the mud. He runs them over boggers in his 79 3/4 ton.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where do you get them? Are you referring to Michelin XLs?

I my next tires are going to be narrow 38s. I don't really care for wide tires...it seems I have much more steering control than my buddies, who all have 38-44" tires.

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My personal experience with 38.5x1100 Boggers is that in mud they dig to China quick, but do very well if the mud's not too deep and there's a solid bottom. They dig lke hell in the dirt and soft ground. Don't even think of taking it in the sand. You'll quickly bury your truck to the frame. I don't have experience with them in the snow or rocks. Oh, and they're easy to burn off on the pavement since there's not much rubber at all on the ground. I think they are good tires and super tough, but just too narrow IMO. I prefer more flotation. Its just a matter of personal preference.

Will

9. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I've had the 38-1/2x11 boggers and liked very much at the time. They performed quite well in the mud. They do look on the skinnier size and no you don't get the mud on the side of the truck like the 44's but with the dana 44 and 38-1/2'sx11 we got through a lot.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How'd you do for breakage? Was your D44 locked? I am probably welding my front axle, so, I'd like to know what to expect with a set of skinny 38s on there.

I can deal with breakage anyway. I 'wheel 5 miles from home. I wouldn't be too worried.

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

your dana 44 with explode the first tiem you run 38.5's and weld it..... first good punch of power fwill b efollowed by a loud crack/booom and you'll be back to 2 wheel drive...

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bullshit. My buddy has a 454 with an open front diff and a Dana 44 with 39.5" Boggers. Before that, it had 40x17 Ground Hawgs on it. He did break his axle quite a bit, but definitely not every time he stepped on it. I've only got a warmed up 305 and 35s right now. I doubt it'll snap the instant I put my foot to it. It hasn't broken while it was open in 2 years of constant beatings. I just don't buy that welding it will make that much of a difference. Like I said, I can deal with some breakage, I just don't want it happening constantly.

I was asking white knight. There are videos on her web page of the 'knight with 38x11 Boggers, a 305, and a 10 bolt front.

How'd it hold up, white knight? How often did it break.

Our mud bog competition is a straight on, 4 foot deep mud hole. No turning necessary. I think welding might do me some good.

One day I'll go 1 ton anyway...but not any time soon.

This whole welding idea came about from trying to not beat on my truck as hard out in the woods. Sometimes I really have to hit holes hard. I'm thinking having 4 tires spinning instead of 3 (or 2 sometimes, hell, it's a gov-loc, it's unpredictable) will make a big difference.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BTW my friend with the big Boggers just finally upgraded to a Dana 60 front. He's the only one back in the woods that has one now, and up 'til now, the only one that's needed one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I do keep fresh u-joints in mine though.

14. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

what's up with those michelins 38.5 tires? Where do I find out more? Are they XCLs?

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well i gotta 468 and a open dana 44... i'm waiting for it to happen...

Believe me when you WELD your front...... the First few times you crank the wheel and give it the right foot will be the last few times you do it...

But go ahead prove me wrong...
    I'm sure the carrier will hold up... and so will the inner axles... But I dont think the axle/U-Joint part will last long... now will the u-joint... If you use a stronger u-joint your gonna blow an axle...

Keep me informed...

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check out www.dollartire.com. I guess they sell them for about $150-200 each, used but in good shape. They're $800 each new.

They're hard as nails so they supposedly last forever. They have various types, I'd be looking at the Michelin XLs.

As for my frontend...I've got lifetime warrenty axle u-joints and I don't care if I break a shaft every now and then. That's why I keep spares.

I actually am welding my axles to try to preserve the rest of my driveline (pretty much my clutch) because before, I used to really have to beat on my truck in some of the deeper holes (my friends all rutted them out with their 38-44" monstrosities they call tires). These woods really suck sometimes....even a tractor got stuck out there last year (somehow a week later, I got stuck in, and got out of that same hole under my own power).

I don't have an insane amount of power and I'm sane with my right foot. My engine is in the neighborhood of 260 HP/340 ft lbs of torque...nothing nuts, just a good running solid V8.

I'll keep y'all posted, but it will be summer time before I drive this truck again. I don't care if it breaks once in a while...I 'wheel close to home, and you can always drive home in 2wd and fix it.

That's part of the reason I'm going to run skinny 38s...to save the driveline. I'm going to keep the 35s for at least another year though, they've got tons of tread left.

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of 38.5X11 Boggers on 16X7 wheels. They bit hard enough to break a hub on my 3/4 ton Dana 44. As long as you don't chunk out, you're gonna pull HARD. I was much happier with my 39.5 Boggers (and D60 Front). If you want to stay around that size, try the new 37 Boggers. As for breakage....I bought my set from a guy who ran them on a Ford with a D60 front and 14bolt rear. He went through milemarker hubs like it was in style. That same set now resides on a F250 with the D44 front. He has not broken anything yet, as far as I know.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree, it's just not going to instantaneously explode the first time you drive. Sure, if you stuff the truck down in a rut, crank the wheels all the way, and floor it then there is a good chance of breaking a shaft or u-joint.

I also agree that in some situations bigger tires and a locker will be easier on parts. Why? because for example if you are trying to climb a hill with open diffs and small tires than you may have to really beat on the truck to make it up, hitting it with a lot of momentum and throttle causing the tires to bounce, spin, and grab which creates big shock loads to the system. On the other hand, with good tires and locker you may be able to just idle right up the hill.

On all the trail rides I have been on, I have seen just as many broken parts on vehicles with smaller tires and open diffs than on the vehicles with big tires and lockers. The main reason are the guys with open diffs are trying to follow the guys with lockers.

19. tomnits

tomnits Registered Member

I've heard the DollarTire Michelins can vary from good to poor. They are ex-military tires, and usually the army got rid of them for a reason. The one's I have seen that have good tread have nearly always had sidewall punctures (that have been fixed so the tire can be sold of course). I was going to get a set, but after I saw that most of sidewalls on the 'high tread' tires were repaired, I changed my mind. I also noticed that some of the 'lower tread' tires (with good sidewalls) had been grooved to make the tread appear better than it actually was. This might or might not be an ok practice. Nevertheless, I passed on the tires.

Tom