Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What axle is this? No pic desription

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Feb 22, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I went junkyard searching today and ran across an axle that I am not sure about. It is an eight lug and has the protruding hubs like a 14 bolt (this is what caught my attention). Upon further inspection I noticed it has a round diff cover with ten bolts. It is almost perfectlyround sorta like the 50's baby moon hub caps but bigger. I wish I had my camera with me but I do not. It was under just a frame so I do not know what the truck is/was. Thanks if anyone can tell what it is. I am guessing it might be a 70 or 60 or something to that effect. I looked at the axle identifier on here but did not see it. Will look some more also. Thanks again.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Most likely an axle that GM used from 1947 to 1972 on various 3/4 & 1-Ton trucks referred to as an Eaton .
    Did it have a removeable pinion support ?

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Id bet a winning lottery ticket its an eaton... search to find mor einfo/ pics about em

4. gmcjimmy88

If you are referring to four bolts around the driveshaft yoke then yes. If it is an eaton are they worth anything? Strong or not worth using? The place I was at is crushing many cars and this was in the "to be crushed area". I assume that getting gears for it might be more difficult than say..... a 14 bolt or something more common? Thanks for the help. ALSO It had a roughly 1'8 inch strap at the lower side of the diff cover Looked factory but I do not know. Thanks for the assistance.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If my memory is working the pinion support should have five or six retaining bolts .
    I am assuming that the four bolts you are speaking of are the bolts holding the straps for the u-joint???

At this point we will need a picture to give good info - sorry.
    Tom

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Did it look like this [​IMG]

7. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yes, the Eaton axle is worth something and strong. They typically came with 4.57's or 5.13's, so you may not need to buy gears. The best thing is that some had factory Detroit No-Spins. An undesirable but easily fixed feature is the axle splines. They are course (can't remember, but I think 17 spline?) but you can swap in spiders and axle shafts from a 14 BFF. These have a one piece steel housing and drop-out diff similar to a Furd 9 inch, but with a removeable rear cover. Parts can be harder to find, so I like to grab whole axles to keep for parts. Most of the trucks that had these axles also had SM420's which I happen to like too.:waytogo:

8. gmcjimmy88

Cool thanks for the input to all. I am not really interested in this but if anyone else is let me know. It and a few 14 bolt FF are in a local scrapyard in vehicles about to be crushed. If anyone is in need of one pm me and I can get you the info. I will be getting a 14 bolt I think unless I can get to jersy for the other set I found.

9. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Too far from me, but you might consider it over a 14 bolt if clearance is a factor.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

these axles have 2" over a shaved 14 bolt stock and can be shaved for more clearance than an dana 44:eek1: also the housings are not cast so it is convienant cause you can easily weld to it.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Also, have you ever seen the pinion gear for an Eaton? 2" diameter :eek: