Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what axle will fit under my 89

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, May 18, 2003.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

hey guys i need to get a new rearend on my 89 1/2 ton 2wd chevy, it has 290k on it with original engine.. running strong still, nothing better then the 350 efi! i dont wanna rebuild a rear i wanna just find a cheap rear in the paper and slap it under it, what yr and what rear ends will bolt right up to my 89. thanks

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure any 1/2 ton axel from 73 up will work for you but you will have to get one out of a 2wd so that you can keep the 5 lug patern

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can use the 73-up, but will have to get a conversion jiont and move the spring pads. A local guy did that, and he had to do it, and then I think it was wider, cause the tires looked funny on it. I think you can use a 4wd axle, just swap the axle shafts out. I could be wrong, I know the 73-87 are like that. If you are gonna put that much work into an axle, get a 9" out of a truck, get the bolt pattern changed, the joint and spring pads, and then never have to worry about the rear going bad. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif