Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what axles came in a J20

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Aug 11, 2001.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

what axles came in a 78 J20 and will they work in a blazer

the guy I talked to said he thot they were Dana 60s but was not sure

and if they are D60s what would I have to do to put them under my blazer?

thanks

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

A Jeep buddy of mine once had a J10 and both axles were D44's. We found out and have seen other J20's and they have a D44 front and D60 rear.

I would NOT use either axle on a GM full size. The front axles on the J-series trucks have the spring mounts on the bottom part of the differential housing. The springs go UNDER the axle. If you used this axle on a GM, you would LOSE lift, due to the axle sitting on top of the springs, instead of the springs sitting on top of the axle.

The rears on all J-series are different too. The pinion is way offset. If you mounted one of these on a GM truck, the driveshaft will be at an angle when you look at it from the rear. I do not remember which side the pinion sits on, but it was very noticable when following one of these J-series.

I have never heard of a D60 front axle in a J-series truck. Only the D44.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

thanks that was what I wanted to know

the stuff I can get for 250 never seems to work damn

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just a little more info. Not all J series trucks had the off center rear diff, it dependes on the transfer case they used. The front D44 is of use to the IFS guys because the diff is on the left. They are easier to use than the Ford fronts because they don't have all the extra stuff cast into them. If I remember correctly there are two different widths. The F/S Wagonner/Cherokee was a few inches narrower than the J trucks. This might have to do with different years, as well. These are things I learned by measuring in the junk yard, not book stuff, so YMMV on the widths due my having to measure around things. The J30/M715 used the D60 front but I don't remember what side the diff was on.

Jim '80 GMC &amp; '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com&gt;www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com&lt;/a&gt;

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wes, you've never heard of a spring-over conversion?

Man, you guys really do hate Jeeps, don't you?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, heard of 'spring-overs', but why do that to a Jeep axle when you can find SO MANY MORE GM axles around for cheaper and easier? [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a 77 J20. It had a Dana 44 in front and a Dana 60 in back. I broke the front axle once completely apart. Tube and axle shaft snaped in two.
    Definately not the easiest swap to a chevy.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I was hopeing it had a D60 that would go right under my blazer I really dont need the back axle too many 14 bolts around just not that many dana 60s

thanks for the info

so if it was a J30 ti might work wale damn I am sure Jim said it was a J20

I will find one some day

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK