Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Axles Do I Use????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86jimbo, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

i have a 86 jimmy with a 6 inch lift and 35s. im currently running stock 10 bolt, 10 bolt. what axles can i use and not be worried about when im in the mud and playing around.. i dont do severe rock climbing. please help me determine what to use.

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well here on CK5 it seems to be the idea of.. if you do not go 1ton or bigger things will explode if you start your truck w/ big tires on it. I say, dont worry about it all all until things break. If you plan on getting 40"ish tires in the future a 14bolt in the rear wouldnt hurt! right now i have 10bolt front rear w/ 33's and i beat the crap outta it, nothings wrong w/ it so far

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm running 3/4 Ton axles (Detroit locked 14bolt full floating rear, Open 8 lug 10 bolt up front) with 38's and a built 383 stroker. I know, I'm just begging for trouble.

Thanks to my light foot, so far so good. :D

I say run 'em 'til you break 'em, then upgrade.

Mike

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What kind of driver are you? Do you like the skinny pedal and do burnouts on pavement every chance you get? Or are you a finese driver and know when to be on the gas and when its not smart to be on the gas? :D

Even playing hard in the mud and trialrides with 35's, 1/2tons will live. Even some playing in the rocks you'll be fine!

But if you are skinny pedal happy all the time, then you may want to look into 3/4 tons or 1 tons.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Run what you got till they break. Then go 3/4 tons till the front breaks, then go D60 up front.

6. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

the only problem with a d60 is that i cannot find one anywhere around here, and they are very expensive on ebay, 1500 for the cheapest, other than that id love to have a d60. am i looking in the wrong place for one?

7. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

try www.car-part.com

They have a lot at any given time.

However, when searching, make sure you sue a 30 series truck. You're looking for a 1 ton axle. If you use a blazer, you won't find an D60 1 tons.