Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What back spacing are you running?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Just like it say's what are you running?

I have Swampers ssr 37/12.5/16 on 16x10 rims. Ran into a guy this weekend wants to trade his Swampers sx 38.5/14.5/15 for mine his rim size is 15x8
    I think they are not wide enough for that tire. I was going to look into a new set of rims monday. So I was thinking the best backspacing would be 2.5 to 3.0 with a D60. So tell me what you are running and what you think about this deal.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know of a guy on this site that is running 39.5 x 13.5 x 16 on 6.75" wide stock rims. Has been running that wide of tire for yrs and has NEVER had a problem.

I'm running 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 15 x 8's with 2.75 BS

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am running like 2.75 or 3 bs on a 15x12 rim w 17x40 Hawgs. Beadlocks take them out to about 13.5" wide with about 4" or so sticking out of the fender wells. Depth of rim depends on build of tire.
    I know the 39.5x15 TSL's fit on the hummer rims which is like 8.75 or 9" wide. Check out the tires at tyres international and they will give you recommended rim width for each type of tire.

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 4 1/4" bs on 15" rims and just ground the piss out of the calipers to fit the 60. Other than eating alot of grinder dust I have had no issues with it.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...I THINK that Hummer rims are 8.25" wide and 7" backspacing...

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much do your drive the truck on the street? If you do a decent amount of street driving you are probably not going to like SX's. A friend of mine (FWP) run 38.5" SX's and they are awesome tires offroad and they are tough as nails. The only problem is when they are cold they are square. I have seen him doing 15mph on the side of the road watching the the truck visibly bouncing because the tires are so flat spotted. It takes a few miles for them to warm up enough to round out, especially in a cold place like CO. They also wear pretty fast. I imagine that the SSR's would have a decent amount more tread life then an SX does.

I have a healthy respect for SX's. They are the toughest damn tire I have ever seen. Fred had slashes in his sidewalls from rocks that would have killed almost every other tire on the planet, but the SX's survived many of them.

As for rim size I would say either 15x8 or 15x10. 15x8's will help them keep on the bead more but the sidewalls on SX's are so stiff that 10's are pretty good for them. Fred runs 10's and he has had them down pretty low alot without problems. Backspacing I would run 3-3.5".

Harley

Harley

7. Hossbaby50

I just read that you may have a 10 bolt front axle. The post says D60 but the profile says 10 bolt? :dunno: If you plan on running 38.5" SX's on a 10 bolt you better be very versed in replacing all its parts. 38.5" SX's are VERY HEAVY and have the ability to snap 10 bolt axles like twigs. 38.5" SX's are probably above the max tire you can run on a 10 bolt even if you did have chromo's. This is assuming you wheel the truck.

I have seen Fred blow out 30 spline D60 stubs with his SX's. He was playing very heavily at the time but it popped the D60 stub which is probably stronger then the 10 bolt inner or outer shafts are.

I believe Fred recently replaced the inner and outer D60 shafts (35 spline) because the axleshaft ears had wallowed out. There was visible gaps between the ujoint cup and the axleshaft ear when we ran Highway to Hell here in AZ.

Harley

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ditto.

8" wheels are plenty for 38.5 SX's.

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Harley
    I will not be driving the K5 much on the streets with the Sx tires. Some times
    I take it to work or drive it to the trail head if its close. the rest of the time it just sits or gets trailer.
    I forgot to change my profile I now have a D60 under the ft.
    Well I think i'm going to do the trade I think the SX VS SSR Is worth the trade better off road tire. I will call around today get some prices on wheels
    with 3-3.5 backspacing.

Bo

10. Hossbaby50

Keep in mind that when I say 3-3.5" BS I am talking about 15x8" rims since that is what I run. With a D60 front then I would do the trade. The SX's will outperform the SSR's offroad and take ALOT more abuse.

When you go to get rims ask them (for 15x8) what the backspacing is that they switch to reverse drop centers. I would get the rims with the reverse drop center in them. They act like poor mans beadlocks. I don't have them on my truck with my 35" MTR's and I blew a bead awhile back at 18psi when I pressed the sidewall inward pretty hard. My buddy Matt runs reverse center wheels with 37" MTR's and he ran the same line and didn't blow his bead. He got close but didn't, and he was running 14psi. It made me a believer in the reverse center wheels.

Matt works at Discount tire and I believe he said reverse starts at 3" BS on 15x8" rims. That is what I would run. Fred runs 15x10's and does pretty well. I have only ever seen him blow a bead once and there was nothing any rim could have done to stop it unless it was a beadlock. He runs between 10-15psi all the time if I remember right without problems.

Harley

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I am running 38.5/15.5/15 SX's, 15X12 steel wheel with 2.5" on of backspacing on my Blazer. The only time I have lost a bead is at about 3#'s in the snow making a 5-10 point u-turn. I normally run 6-10 #'s on the trail in rocks.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

3.75" BS on 5.5" wide rims with an 11" wide tire, i love the combo. I squeezed an over 36" tall TSL onto my truck with no trimming and only a 2" BL with that tire/rim combo.

13. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

im running 39.5x15x15 tsl's with 15x12 with 3 1/4 bs, LOTS of d60 caliper grinding:mad: