Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What backspacing to run with 4in lift and 35's on 15in wheels on 8 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fourwheelinj1, Dec 19, 2003.

1. fourwheelinj1

fourwheelinj1 Registered Member

What backspacing to run with 4in lift and 35\'s on 15in wheels on 8 lug

I need to know the best backspacing to run? I am planning on having a 4in lift and 35x12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels. I am running 3/4 ton axles so i need to know the best backspacing to fit the tires with the least amount if trimming and not having to grind calipers excessively. Also where is the bestplace to buy 15x8 8 lug black steel wheels rock in the rockcrawler style.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: What backspacing to run with 4in lift and 35\'s on 15in wheels on 8 lug

summit

3.5" BS (little grinding)

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

4wpw has some with 2.75" bs. Most tire/wheel stores can custom order any steel wheel with as little as 2.5" bs, there is a build charge of around $10.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

How far out will the tires stick out with this sort of back spacing? The 16" setup costs quit a bit more $$$ than the 15's so it is definitely something to consider...

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm running 4 inches but that's on 10bolt. 4 inches puts the tread inline with the fender on the front. I'm on 15x10 rims. I moved the axle foward 1 inch. I'm trimmed back far less then most. My inner fenders are uncut and in stock location. I'm cut right up to them.

On a 15x8 I'd look at splitting the difference and run about 3 inches if it's available. It it's not you should be able to get a 3.5. I wouldn't go 2 unless you want to really hack the fenders for clearence.

That should not put your tire out any farther then I have it and minimize the grinding you need to do on the caliper. To far out and it makes more problems for clearence on the back side of the fender opening. You could go more up to 4 inches but your into the Tierod ends with any more. The weights on the wheels wore a groove into the boot on my Tie rod ends.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a secret for you and everyone else. 15x8's...GET 2 3/4" BACKSPACING!!!!

I am currently running this setup (by accident, 4WPW screwed up because I actually ordered 4.25" backspacing). I've never been happier with a screw up.
    1) I had to do NO grinding on the calipers/backing plates.
    2) The rear tires line up almost perfectly with the fenders...giving the look that guys are going for when buying and installing wheel spacers in back.
    3) The front tires only stick out from the fenders maybe an inch or two. I did the math (based on wheel mount surface, backspacing, rim size, etc), and my old 6 lug setup with 15x10" and 4" BS figures out to be the same outer-edge-of-rim-to-outer-edge-of-rim distance as my setup now with an 8 lug D44, 15x8" and 2.75" BS. If you were to get 15x10's instead of 15x8's, then yeah, the tires would stick out more both front and back.

There are a few pics of my setup in my webshots album. Have a look, I think they're in the "3/4 ton axle swap" albums.

I should have more pics of my truck up in a week or two after my winter wheelin' trip.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    2) The rear tires line up almost perfectly with the fenders...giving the look that guys are going for when buying and installing wheel spacers in back.

[/ QUOTE ]

rear spacers arent there for looks, they are there to bring the rear tires to the same track width as the front. Any asthetic benefits are superficial and not especially relevant.

j

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

While that may be true, I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the people who buy those spacers are going for the "looks" part of it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. fourwheelinj1

fourwheelinj1 Registered Member

So if i am going to run 15x8 with 35's on 4 in lift with 3.5 of backspacing, How much fender trimming will i have to do?

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

im running 35's on 4" lift with no trimming.

nick

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Depends on what you want to do w/ it and weather or not you unhook the sway bar and if you move the axle forward and how tall your 35 realy are and how high you lift accually is and...

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    While that may be true, I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the people who buy those spacers are going for the "looks" part of it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

true, plenty o pillowbiters into bling. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j