Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What battery are you runnin....with your winch??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Mar 16, 2004.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Red Top Optima after 5 years...
    needs to be re-placed..
    I think I KILLED it winching last summer... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I'm looking at the NEW Optima Group 31 Yellow Top...
    They say it's made for winching and other tough applications..
    but this thing is 12 13/16"L x 6 1/2" W x 9 3/8"H....
    this thing is huge...and has 900 cold cranking amps/1125 cranking amps...

What battery would you guys using???

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Two plate type group 34 batteries. 1100 CA each, that's 2200 available amps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Two plate type group 34 batteries. 1100 CA each, that's 2200 available amps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about going with a 2 battery set-up...
    but I'm going to eventually narrow my front..
    so I may not have the room... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Optima Yellow Top. Awesome battery. Mine's over 5 years old, never a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Surprised to hear your red needs replaced after only 5 years. Did something specific kill it?

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

optima red top. been doing fine with it too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

Red top. Replaced after 6 years of winching with another red top. Try dropping it on the ground from about 3 feet up and see if it'll take a charge then. There was a post a couple of weeks ago about this, so I tried it and it worked for me.

7. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Optima Yellow Top. Awesome battery. Mine's over 5 years old, never a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Surprised to hear your red needs replaced after only 5 years. Did something specific kill it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....
    I got sideways in a hole...to start..
    and I did nothing but winch...at the Halloween Webb Bash..
    I broke out the winch about 20 times that weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Red top. Replaced after 6 years of winching with another red top. Try dropping it on the ground from about 3 feet up and see if it'll take a charge then. There was a post a couple of weeks ago about this, so I tried it and it worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I haven't seen that POST!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    My Red Top is taking a charge...
    my load tester says it's weak!!!

Maybe I'll try dropping it tonight!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run the yellow top with mine and have never had a problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I have an Exide Orbital Battery Starting/Deep cycle. Haven't used it yet, got it in a group buy and everyone seems very happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Sorry guy's but I can't see the high cost of Optima's,,,I know this sounds bad but I run Wal-mart Battery's.
    they come with a 3 year no questions asked replacement I have dual battery's in my K5 and just replace them every 2 years at no cost. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifThey have never failed and I have not paid for a battery in 6 years.I've yet to kill the one on my winch,,also walmarts are everywhere and that's a good thing if I ever need to replace one in another town,,Just keep the reciept in the glovebox. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....
    I broke out the winch about 20 times that weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe with the 44"s you won't have to winch as much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry guy's but I can't see the high cost of Optima's,,,I know this sounds bad but I run Wal-mart Battery's.
    they come with a 3 year no questions asked replacement I have dual battery's in my K5 and just replace them every 2 years at no cost. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifThey have never failed and I have not paid for a battery in 6 years.I've yet to kill the one on my winch,,also walmarts are everywhere and that's a good thing if I ever need to replace one in another town,,Just keep the reciept in the glovebox. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad, I've got two plate type batteries in mine, both are actually from Farm and Fleet I think, but same thing either way.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm running those fancy 1050A Walmart ones, they're yellow.... ooooooh! : /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Cost $110 or so for both...

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

750CCA cheapies from Advance Auto for $42. I've killed the auxilary one five or six times now with my electric fans. I can't believe it survived all of those drains.

I kept burning the terminals off those mini-ATO fuses so the fuse wouldn't blow but the isolator couldn't charge the battery either. I finally put in a regular full size blade fuse holder in about 3 weeks ago.

In a perfect world, I'd run Optimas.

16. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe with the 44"s you won't have to winch as much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...It's NOT me I'm worried about..
    I needed the winch about 6 times last year... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But You're right...I'm gonna be unstopable at Webb this year!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I always run Die Hards!(usually Golds) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. JK5

Thanks for ALL the comments!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I always run Die Hards!(usually Golds) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Made by Johnson controls, same as most of Wal-Mart's batteries in addition to all of Autozone's and Interstate as well.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Made by Johnson controls, same as most of Wal-Mart's batteries in addition to all of Autozone's and Interstate as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did they start with Johnson? I haven't had to buy one in at least 6 years and have never had a problem with one!

If I were to choose another brand it would probably be New Castle Battery since they're local...