Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What besides a Dana60 to use???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Sep 23, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

If a guy doesnt have 1000 for a diecent D60 than what can he use upfront... If the 12 bolt doesnt work, and the 10 bolt, well we wont go there... What other choice do we have???

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the 60 is your cheapest most common HD option

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you could do what i do. run a converted 10 b up front with a complete spare in the back yard. or just try to build up a d44 with stronger axles and components but most people will tell you by the time thats done you are close to spending what you would have for a d60.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

and still have the small bearings and brakes and u joints and ball joints....more cost effective to step up and virtually never worry about breakage again

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Could always look for a Dana 50 from a Phord. probably pretty cheap, and nets you a 9" ring gear and slightly larger bearings, but I think it still uses the 297 steering joint(maybe??)
    Whoops, sorry, wrong side diff.
    Dana 60 is best way to go, it's really you're only choice...someday I'll have one.
    Poundin' the ol "pavment"!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RedDwarf on 09/23/01 09:43 PM.</FONT></P>

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What are you planning on doing....? I'm not gonna be doing much rock climbing so I am just going with a beefer 10b... determine what all you want to do and then make a decision based on that.... and if you can find a nice Dana 60 for $1,000, hop on it... because if you wanna nice Dana 60 from say Boyce or Redline.... get ready to pay wayyyy more then that....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what is a beefier 10 bolt?
    as we all own chevs we only need $1000 d60s it is jeep boys that get raped for weird aftermarket stuff.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Beefier 10 bolt? Upgraded shafts, bearings, gears, and hubs - throw a well designed truss into the fray and you've got a pretty burly front-end. Unless you run the really hairy trails on a regular basis, the 60 really isn't necessary - so why add the extra weight?

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

ok you can upgrade the shafts, you cant do shitte to the bearings, gears, ujoints, or hubs(granted drive flanges if you can find them) in the way of strength. that i know of. thanks for reminding me that the 10bolts snap in half under the truck when worked a little.
    so when the 297 blows and takes out your $haft$ you would have already spent the same as a d60.
    i am not a rock crawler by any means but i think any tire 35"+ on a d44 or 10bolt is living on borrowed time. i broke mine 3 times before saying enough is enough.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can put in higher strength/quality than OEM gears/bearings/etc. Alot of racers run 37's on 10 bolts for dozens of races before maintenance without so much as a blown U-joint, so they can't be that bad. And for that matter, the only axle I've ever broken was a D60 (rear) - blew the shaft into 3 pieces pulling away from a stoplight.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

11. ChevyCaGal

Check out some of these axle places like Boyce, Dynatrac, Redline and others who sell Dana 60's... none of them are near $1,000 bucks. I priced them all excited and when I got the replies I was a little bit stunned [​IMG]!! I was quoted over $6,000 for a Dana 60 and 14b ff combo. Not to mention I would have had to buy new rims and probably tires....

I am getting a 10b front. I'm gonna try a little experimentation with it... might cost me more then planned but hey maybe the results will be worth it? I will be going with moly alloy shafts and getting spicer 297 u-joints. I am going with a 30 spline set up instead of the 28. The 30 spline isn't considered better then the 28 due to they increased the axle diameter without increasing the carriers bearing journal size. But IF you replace the carrier like I am doing with ARB, you get rid of this problem. I've read if someone comes out with a stronger u-joint, then the 30 spline will benefit with increased strength... I'm also looking into other bearings and gearing to see what will work. This is what I am gonna try to do and see what happens.... and if I can find other things to tweak around with I will....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

13. ChevyCaGal

Yeah they are the ones who said for now that Spicer was my best bet... but of course this was like 3-4 months ago... so I need to check back with them and see if Jess over at High Angle has anything new. I try to use him since I can drive there and get what I need..... if I find anything out I shall let you know! [​IMG]

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, Jesse has the new super Beefed up Ujoints for the 10bolt/d44. he uses the D60 ujoint and machines it down to fit into the 10bolt/d44 axles. I think the cost was somewhere near $150 per ujoint [​IMG]!!!! But should be worth it.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

15. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey Steph, why not leave out the ARB and buy a 60, and when you need that extra turning radius, get out and and unlock the hub, and know you'll never break anything!!!

Doug Krebs

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am getting a little sick of the "never break a Dana 60" story. It happens, a lot. They are not indestructible at all. Just add 40+ inch tires and a big block and they will break. No where near a 44, but they will break. I have seen it many many times before. And I have never run rocks. This is in mud and some nasty trails.

Just my two cents worth.

Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I got a 60 because of a few reasons. The first is it already had 4:56's in it and the second is because I plan on seeing alot of rocks. I was planning to go with a 10 bolt 8 lug but till finding out the cost for changing gears from 4:10 to 4:56 and adding good axles it was cheaper to just get the 60.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Wayne,

You got it exactly right. I doubt that you can upgrade a 10B for $1000 and have anything comperable to a D60, especially if you have to change the gears.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

19. ChevyCaGal

Because I decided I didn't wanna Dana 60 because to buy it up front and all I'd would cost me too much... I can upgrade the 10 bolt little bit at a time and it works for me... I also didn't want the weight of a Dana 60.... if I can come up with a nice 10 bolt that can take some decent punishment I'll be happy... part of building a truck is to not always follow the crowd and try things out on your own and test new waters... I decided if I really wanna learn and gain some knowledge I will get into the 10b and see what all I can do with it and possibly maybe get to the point where I can make something good enough others will take notice and think dang I wanna do the same thing....! [​IMG]

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I gotta stand up for the 10B/D44 axles here, with 35" tires and some maintenance and good parts, they work just fine. You may have to carry a spare set of shafts, but they don't spontaneously explode when they hit dirt! Nice thing about just upgrading what you have is that you can do it one piece at a time if you want. You start getting over 36" tires and you're asking for trouble, but under that and most guys can keep them alive.

No question, if you use the truck hard, a D60 is the way. I've never had a bearing problem with a 1/2T axle, but I did replace a few ball joints and ujoints (as always). But not everyone uses their trucks the way I do.

If you do need/want to upgrade over the 10 bolt/D44, a GM D60 is the only way to seriously consider, it's too easy! The only way to make it any better is if we had a high pinion, but then you're into way more expensive parts.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>