Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What bigblock motor mounts are you running?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyin, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

My bigblock expert buddy recommended I swap out to solid motor mounts while changing the motor in my 73 (from weaker 454 to stronger 396). My question is, with these trucks not being BB originally, seems finding the right mounts is a bit of a trick. I know ORD has them, but they are $175 and Im hoping there's a cheaper option. What are you guys running, and what do you all recommend?

TIA. :)

2. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I’m running the Energy Suspensions’ poly inserts for the stock motor mounts. I wouldn’t go to the solid mount (all steel) like your friend suggested. If you still having problems with the motor moving around-I probably hook a chain from the head to frame on the driver’s side.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know you don't want to spend the money but the ORD stuff seams to work real well and it is as close to a solid mount as I would want to get.
    [​IMG]
    My engine is balanced and with thease mounts my engine doesn't shake at all when running..nice and smooth.
    I hate doing things twice so I just saved up some $$ and got the good stuff:D

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I was surprised when my buddy recommended solid also, but he's a bigblock guy from way way back (chevelle guru) and swears 1) he doesn't really notice much extra vibration, and 2) swears a stout BB will rip the stock style mounts apart eventually (or not so eventually). I dunno, he's always had reliable info for me before, so I tend to take his advice, but Id really like to hear from some people running different setups on these K5's.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think I remember seing a set similar to ORD's made by Morrso (sp?). THere use to be a speedshop here in the town I work in and I recall seeing engine mounts hanging on the wall..check you local Speedshop, if you have one...maybe Summit Racing or the like...

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Im doing this also. Using poly inserts. But mine are a different brand I got form summit for under $50. Looks like Im going to have to mod them a bit to get them to fit, nothing too major.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

As an aside: 1973 is a really funny year for motor mounts. Early on they had a different crossmember and motor mounts. No auto parts store book lists any differences, but it's there, trust me I know. The GM parts books list the different numbers for crossmember and motor mount.
    The early 1973 ones, the mount pads are lower and the motor mount is a taller design. They switched to a higher crossmember and "regular" motor mount mid-1973ish run.
    I found this out the hard way when I put mounts in my '73 and the damper was rubbing on the crossmember. Tore my hair out until I looked up gm part numbers in the 1973 parts book and found "1st design" "2nd design" number. Excellent. A steel spacer btw. the mount and pad solved it.

So if your motor sits too low after installing your brand new mounts, you'll know what the problem is.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006