Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what boots to buy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ducttape114, Oct 16, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

its time for new boots. any one have a favorite pair that holds up to abuse well? i have destroyed 2 pairs of Dr. martins in the last year. i really like them because they are comfterble but they just cant handle what i put them thru. anyways, any input would be really appriciated. thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

danners.

j

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I don't know what kind of boots you are needing, but I have had real good luck with Bates (Enforcer) brand boots. I use them for work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yo... whats up??? sorry i couldnt make it to moab... i dont have your number i musta lost it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif as soon as my steering is good, i'll come visit some time and do your mud pit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... i dont have your number i musta lost it... i'll come visit some time and do your mud pit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that is wrong on so many levels... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

anyway... as far as boots go, i am impressed with the quality of my wolverines and justins equally.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have been buying Georgia Boot for several years.
    Hands down they are the best boot I have ever worn.
    Gore-tex, Thinsulate and steel toed.
    And like the tag says, no break in required.
    They feel like you have been wearing them for years from the moment you step into them.
    They cost about $200 for the ones I get but they last for over 2 years.
    As for being comfortable?? I stand on concrete 10 to 12 hrs a day and do not have any problems with my feet or back at the end of the day.
    As for Danners /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.. I have seen guys go through 3 pairs and I am still wearing the same ones.
    Back in the late 80's they were a good boot but it seems that craftsmanship and quality have gone downhill for that company.
    With Ga. Boot the only thing I have had done to them is have them reheeled.

7. ducttape114

thanks guys

now allow me to be more specific. they also need to be:
    steel toe
    ALL leather
    at least 8" tall
    avalible in size 12-13
    black
    have deep tread.

im gonna go hunting for websites. thanks again guys

8. ducttape114

branndon whats up with your steering? adn the mud pit is undergoing major restoration. maybe moving to my neibors place with some imported mud. high clay content, real slimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif 588-0785.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of steel-toe Nautilus boots. They are low-top, pretty nice. I'm on my second pair now and the only reaosn I got a second pair was my company buys me a new pair every year. I don't put them through too much [darn], though, mustly walking around the plant and the occasional stripping of a car at home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had a pair of Redwings I loved. I accidentally left them in Idaho and remembered like a month later they were sitting there still- doh!

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I'll throw my .02 in here. I would stay away from boots made with gore-tex in them. While it may be breathable, your feet will sweat faster than the membrane can pass the vapor. this will leave your feet wet, not damp. Another problem with Goretex all leather foot wear is polishing the boot/shoe. Polish seals the outer surface of the leather preventing water from penatrating the surface, it also prevetns water vaper from leaving. This is why most goretex boots are nylon and leather uppers, also why Danner requires you to use a special creme.

-Things to look for in boots. They should be resoleable, Your upper should outlast your sole. Steel shank if your on your feet all day, this adds support to the arch. High quality leather; chrome, silicone or vegitable tanned. I also thin boots should be leather linned. This adds support and comfort, very few companies make boots this way.

I could go into more detail if anyone really cares. I Only buy all leather boots because the nylon stuff doesnt last and is generally can not be resoled.

If i were you i would recommend boots from; Chippewa, Georgia or Red Wing. The pretty much specialize in work boots and seem to be made really well. Danners are very comfortable, but a little on the bulky side. IF you Find a boot that you like but it is in brown, you can always die them black.

Dont forget a high qaulity insoles, Im trying some SOF motion controls that im really likeing. But i usually use Smart Feet brand. Hope this helps.

Cheers, rugger

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of Redwings that I absolutely love. I dont remember what model they are but they were about 150. Theyre perfect for both my jobs; working on cars at the shop and landscaping. I wear em all the time now, they are just about as confortable as my Adidas.

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a pair of the Caterpillar" brand of work boots.Made real well and holding up great.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    As for Danners /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.. I have seen guys go through 3 pairs and I am still wearing the same ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my danners in early 1994 and they are still good as new.... that includes 4 years of marine infantry use...

j

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

just really loose steering, i'm gonna check the bolts on my steering block, if one stripped out that could cause it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i got the # now do you can remove it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Vasque boots are great.

17. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

They are nice had a pair of old skywalker II that i put many miles on, but they dont make work boots.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

19. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    now allow me to be more specific. they also need to be:
    steel toe
    ALL leather
    at least 8" tall
    avalible in size 12-13
    black
    have deep tread.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Georgia Boot...
    I refer to the soles on these as the "boggers" of the boot world
    The ultimate in a quality work boot. Nothing even compares.
    That they look cool is a small factor as well.
    I have tried every boot there is and nothing stands up to harsh working enviroments like that boot does.
    I wear em standing in freezing water, when it is 100deg out oil soaked, name it.
    When I have to buy a new pair of boots it's beacause the toes wear out long before the rest of the boot, other than being reheeled....
    Or I toss em when the oil soaked leather starts to stink so bad that I can't stand it anymore.
    Danners.. as stated I will not wear em if someone else paid for em. In a harsh enviroment, wet all day long or subjected to grease and oil on a daily basis, don't buy em.
    The pair I bought in 97 blew out in 5 months.
    I can name 5 guys off the top of my head that had to duct tape em together to get through a shift. The pair I had in High school and wore to work in the woods were an awesome pair of boots. The ones I bought in 97 was a huge dissapointment. A roll of duct tape should be in the box with the boots. I mean spend nearly $200 on boots and have them literly fall apart in 5 months.
    And see others with the same problem??
    Danners suck in my humble opinion.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have Wolverines that I got from Cabellas....I love those things.

I had a set of Magnums, they were 100% crap but very comfortable.

I had a pair of Infantry combat boots like the Danners but a different brand. They were alright, a good boot, but not worth the $50.

My Altima jungle boots are completely shot and I've had them 4 years and I still love them. My physical therepist talked me out of continuing to wear them though.

By far though the Wolverines are the best pair I've owned to date though.