Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brake lines on 14 bolt FF disc brakes? (10mm banjo, all rubber)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Oct 6, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have derbinator disc brakes on my truck. I am using 84 K20 rotors and calipers. What brakes lines do I need? The 84 K20 lines have a metal tube on the end of it. I tried looking up 75 K20, those were all rubber lines but they used a 7/16" banjo, my calipers use a 10mm banjo. Please help! I would prefer not to switch calipers. Thanks!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since your calipers are an '84 year, you need that year of hoses, too.

The older stuff, like you were looking for a '75, use a larger banjo bolt. These are 7/16" threads.

You need the newer banjo bolts, which are a 3/8", or 10 mm, thread. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A good rule of thumb when getting parts for disc brakes is to get everything for ONE year of the stuff. For example: you got '84 rotors and calipers...get the rubber hose in the same year, too, as it will guarantee you that it will bolt right into the calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I just did the same conversion with Derbinator's brackets too. There are two kinds of calipers: Standard and Metric. As with all GM stuff, there is some veriation in the years and there is always an exception to the rule. For the most part, 10 bolts came with metric calipers (10mm banjo bolt) and D44's came with standard caliperss (7/16 banjo bolt). Anything '79 and up should be metric. I used TSM's braided stainless brake hose kit for the metric caliper. They also offer one for the standard. It cost about $55 shipped to my door and included 2 hoses, banjo bolts, copper washers, and weld on mounting tabs. The last time I checked, OEM front brake hoses were $28.50 or so each at the parts store. I feel like I got a better deal, plus they are shorter wich lets you use more hard line.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I bought rotors and calipers for an 84 K20. Will the rotors off of the 84 K20 work with the calipers off a 75 K20? Since the 75 K20 has 7/16 banjo and I can get a line that is all rubber with the 75. Thanks!

5. thatK30guy

Yes, you can use either caliper with the rotor. The rotors are the same part number for all the years. Just the calipers are different.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I used caliper hoses for car applications. They were cheaper than the truck hoses and fit better IMO. The steel line on the truck hoses didn't line up as well as I would have liked. Must have used '70s calipers because I used one hose for a '74 mailbu and one for a '74 camaro /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Auto Zone didn't stock 2 of any model caliper hose. IIRC, the camaro hose was slightly shorter than the malibu hose.

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Is the caliper bolt spacing on a caliper off a 75 K20 the same as the spacing off a 84 K20? Like if an 84 caliper will bolt to my bracket will a 75 caliper bolt to it?

8. thatK30guy

Yep, both have same spacing. Both will exchange the other year easily, too.