Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brake pads do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Jun 21, 2006.

?

Which brake pads do you like with slotted rotors?

1. Organic plain jane

24.3%
  2. Performance Friction Carbon Metallic

16.2%
  3. Ceramic pads

10.8%
  4. Semi-metallic mid range

48.6%
  1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I have EBC slotted rotors and the EBC green stuff pads.
    The rotors are now warped again. I am going to have them turned and then slap on new pads.
    I am not really pleased with the Green stuff pads.
    The goal is Quiet and long rotor life.
    If I have to swap pads often and they are cheap then I will swap them out every 10K or whatever.

Thanks
    Tim

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

consider my truck is a weekend warrior.. and not a dd... I use the cheapest I can get... also mainly due to I LOVE MUD!!!! :wink1:

the rear brake pads run $9.99 for a set of eldorado pads and about $14.99 for the fronts....

3. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Well I forgot one option: Genuine GM Parts.

I took my Sub into the mechanic today as I can't figure out its issues.
    He said all he uses is OEM brake pads and parts. That stands for all vehicles GMC, Ford, Dodge, Etc as he has never had good parts for aftermarket brakes.

Tim

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

cheapest I can find at autozene works for me... never bought premium brakes in my life and never will....:crazy:

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I use the higher end of Bendix aftermarket (like you would get at Advance or the like) and have never been disappointed.

I know a lot of shops that use them too with little to no problems.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I used to like the Wilwood D compounds, but I don't think they're available any more.

For mud & crawling you want the pad with the highest low temp Coefficient of Friction. That isn't readily available info unless you go to racing pads, but I can tell you that the Perf. Friction pads aren't it. Same for any of the metallics.

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm talking about!

8. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i have always had good luck with the semi metallics, low brake dust and always stop good, i have never warped a roter with them good stuff!
    LUKE

9. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

The cheapest....:laugh:

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like semi-metalics too. They are a good comprimise between quite braking and a good stopping power. Carquest has a good set of in-house semi-metalic brake pads, which are good quality at a good price.

11. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I use the Carquest Semi-metallic "gold" pads also and they stop awesome. They're actually made by Raybestos. They also have a lifetime warranty and if I pull them off and tell Carquest they're sqeaking, they replace them no questions asked.

-Wes

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I have used Performance friction for years, on 4 cars and they work great. I just did the brakes on my 98 crown vic, did performance friction forged rotors and pads in the front, and wagner rotors and "high performance" pads in the rear. Well the back squeals like a pig EVERY time I stop until they get some good heat in them. I have never had dust problems from PF and noticed a huge improvement over organic pads. My car is 4800lbs and I drive it hard, all the time, so brakes are important. Brake pads are brake pads, doesn't matter what vehicle they are on. Ceramics perform the same on a lincoln or an F550. Depends on how you drive, what you want, and how big your money tree is. www.crownvic.net has MANY threads on brake pads due to the police interceptors.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I used Lifetime (I *think*) on the wife's minivan about a year ago. I went with the more expensive ones to have a longer maintenance interval... They ground the crap out of the rotors and were crazy noisy. I had to replace the rotors in less than 10k miles, and the pads still had plenty of meat left. Semi-metallic cheapies have been fine ever since. Nice and quiet, stop on a dime.

The guy at the parts place actually argued that the rotors are supposed to wear out, not the pads. :haha:

14. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Well I was mistaken the EBC pads are just fine and the rotors are not warped at all. There was just a heavy glaze on the rotors, caused me all the squeaking. The mechanic removed the glaze and all is good. I guess the warping was all in my head!:doah:

Thanks for all the replies when these wear out I will probably use performance frictions on it, as they worked really well for me before I got these new rotors and pads.

Tim