Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what brand floor jack do you have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMCLegacy, Dec 26, 2004.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

im looking at buying a floor jack, there seems to be tons of brands. i had an old blackhawk jack that i liked but finally was retired to the scrap pile. i would like another blackhawk but they dont seem to be as large as they used to be. i only could find 2 jacks online at northern tools. i dont see myself buying a craftsman, but maybe they are decent jacks. anybody have an ATD that autovalue promotes?

ive got ~300 to spend, i dont want to end up with crappy jack, i want it to last 30 years like the blackhawk i had.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was in Sams Club and they had a Michelin 3.5 ton jack.... 1 pump to the frame (on cars) then it tightens up and jacks up... I love the thing... $65 too!!!!!!

also I got a 60" hi lift jack... :saweet:

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

jack info

had a sams club one at the shop and worked great for about 2 weeks. then it would start droping slowly when in use. i find you get what you pay for. now i have a craftsman 3 1/2 ton worms good and has the fast 1 pump option on it.

4. corradofreek

corradofreek 1/2 ton status

i have a few, one snapon, one blue point aluminum jack and a craftsman 3.5 ton. they are all great jacks, but by far the best is the rotory lift that is in trhe garage too :P

5. cyclone

cyclone 1/2 ton status

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I buy nothing but Craftsman tools. Sometimes they are very good quality, sometimes they are average. But, they take them back and replace them no questions asked anytime there is a problem. That makes it worth it to me. Some of the other higher end tools have the same policy, but you either have to ship them to the company, or find a rep that you can hook up with. I prefer just driving over to Sears or Orchard Supply Hardware (which Sears bought out) and swapping them. I have one 2 ton Craftsman but am going to buy a 3 ton as well. I bought a motorcycle jack from Costco and it is already crapping out. I saw the one at Sears and it is identical to the Costco one. However, I would be taking the Craftsman one back and getting a new one had I gone with Sears.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

we got a 3.5ton northern tool jack, decent, takes a few more pumps than some of the people i know jacks, but its easier to pump w/ a load on it. Only thing is the son of a gun is HEAVY. IIRC it was something like 80 bucks a couple years ago. Its up at a friend of mines house, cause we used it to pull his tranny and I left it up there, so I dont know the brand, Ill find out later.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had a "Sam's Club Special" for 12+ years (Allied brand???). It's a 3 or 3.5 ton rated jack and I paid around $60 for it. It's still working great. It has jacked up several K5's, Suburbans, etc. over the years. I never leave any weight on it for more that a minute or so. I always use BigMutha[font=&quot]™[/font] jackstands ;) to hold up the rig while I'm under it.

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a Craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack. Single pump to the chassis. I paid 120 for mine and got the jacks stands with it as well. Been in good use for over a year and a half now with no problems. I am a big Craftsman fan due to their warranty and craftmanship. It breaks, take it back and get a new one.....

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My friend and I both bought a Michelin jack from Sam's. His works fine and mine is junk, it also drops slowly. I can jack it all of the way to the top with no load on it and it seems to get rid of air bubbles (jack shakes a lot) and then it will work ok.

I wouldn't buy another jack from Sam's.

11. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well Sears told me that they don't warrenty the jacks but for one year.... I had one for 3 years and it started to leak and they don't even sale a re-seal kit for it. But they won't swap it out....

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

most know me here as a proponent of Snap On, etc. but floorjacks for me are a case where i own a $50 2 1/2 ton bought at the Englishtown Swapmeet about 15 yrs ago.. i couldn't even tell ya the brand.. maybe ATD or something..

darn thing has been flawless. worked a ton over the years and never a quiver... knock on wood... never any maintenence either..

i would think for a homeshop a more "budget" orientated jack would probably be fine, but my case may not be the norm... i may have lucked out.

one more thing, the advantage of a higher end jack would probably be parts availability and rebuildability.. i know our cheaper PortaPower units at work are basically disposible. whereas our oldschool BlackHawk is easily rebuilt if need be...

our Snap On guy was selling some pretty baddass aluminum ones awhile back for like $250.. looked pretty good... pretty sure i've seen em on the Bay too....

[starts chant for Tool forum] :whistle:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is chineese

I too am the proud owner of a floor jack bought at a swap meet--I bought mine at stafford springs raceway swap meet in CT about 15 years ago--I paid 50 or 60 bucks for it--I think the brand name is "Golden Bow" ,it has a picture of a bow and arrow on it,and lots of chinese hyrogliphics written on it..I have used it qiute a bit,and it has never leaked once--a few times I had to chase the wheels under a car when they rolled away after a snap ring flew off after bouncing it over rough pavement,,I just tack welded the shaft to hold then on,screw the snap rings!-
    Its rated at 2-1/4 tons,but I jack up my 6000lb K20 right off the ground under the rear diff with no sweat!-I noticed it even has a by pass,so if you overload it,it simply wont pump up--my brothers expensive Lincoln brand jack does not have this feature evidently--a co-worker used it at work to try jacking a mack truck up when it was on sandy soil,and it kept pumping and trying to lift the truck,and it bent the frame of the jack all to hell,wouldnt even come down!!!(and Lincoln would not warrantee it either:blush: )--so I guess I cant squawk about my jack being "China crap"--:crazy: .

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

COSTCO.... they were 59.00 now they are 65.00... guess to match sams club... I dont recall the brand.. theyre blue... really nice jacks.. I bought two after I looked at everything in town under a couple of hundred bucks... had them for a year no problems... and i use them...
    cam

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used the one that BrainDamage has for a couple of weeks. Borrored to do the lift on the Burb. Worked great. I'm waiting for them to have a sale and me to have some $. :xmas:

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I own 2 jacks, 1 snap on, 1 mac tools, i use them both alot! and have had them both for over 10 years, they still work great. sorry I think they were both over$300.00:(

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine came from sears around 30 years ago. It never leaks down, you can leave it for weeks on end, and it's WAY older than me.

I've left it outside, dragged it through the yard, driveway, etc., used it for weeks on end, and it ALWAYS works.

I am very happy with every tool I and my family has bought from Sears, including the 6 point, 3/8" drive 17 mm socket that exploded at the end of my air ratchet a couple weeks ago.

I worked in an auto shop for several months and my boss always talked up his snappy, mac, and matco stuff, but guess what.........

My Sears junk worked just as well as his tools did, and I used them EVERY DAY!!!!!!

I love Sears. My air tools are IR and CP, but all my hand tools are Sears or SK stuff older than I am.

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My floorjack is was made by a company called Bush Hydraulics. I dont know how old it is or what its tonnage is but it is one heavy son of a bitch. I used it for a couple of years and it would jack up the back end of my burban no problem but now whenever I try to do it, it just makes a wet farting sound. Its probably twice as old as I am and the company that made it is still in business so I need to look into getting it fixed. It will however still lift the back one wheel at a time but thats it.

20. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

I have the same one as rootbreaker(got it at sams club) and i love it never let me down use it on the blazer and everything else all the time.