Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand gears? Need input!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Apr 27, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

When I get my 14FF put in, I'm going to go with a lower gear ratio. I'm thinking 4.56. I have 38's with a TH350 and NP208. I think that 4.56 will work fine with the tranny. The only question I have is what brand is a good brand? A guy can install them for me for $150 for front and rear. Can't pass that up. Another thing, what all would I have to change to get put the gears in? I saw a post about gears, and he was asking about the carrier for the front 10 bolt, which I'm not going to replace. Thanks again.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Buy Richmond gears.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

That's what I have now. I'm still running the stock gears, but when the the OE ones got chewed up, they put Richmonds in.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Richmond or Precision are the best two in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey Alex, if you are wanting to change the gears in a FF, why not get one that has like 3.73 gears in them so everybody else can use one that already has the 4.10's. Nobody wants the 3.73's, so that would be a better candidate to rebuild that axle with whatever ratio you plan on. I have a 3.73 14FF sitting here. Be wise to skip the 4.10 and let someone else use it.