Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand glow plugs to buy??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dallassnowman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

:confused: I serched and need to know soon...Which glow plugs are good. I have 5 stuck plugs now and dont ever want this again!! I think I will leave the stock controller in. :confused:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My next GP's will be "Quick heats" from Kennedy diesel. I have AC 60G's right now and two or three are dead (not quite 3 years old)

Rene

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I used self regulating dual coil plugs that I bought from Accurate Diesel (the equivelant of AC 60Gs). They are made by Wellman Automotive products and from what I understand they are what the military uses for replacements in their humvees. Cost about $70.00 and Iv had them around six months now and they work great.

Anything is better than the 9Gs.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you have stock controller, get Quickheats. If you have a manual controller, get 60g's.

5. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Think its gonna be the quick heats from Kennedy Diesel.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Don't get me wrong Robert; you probably got some great plugs there. But I don't think you got HMMWV plugs (Thank GOD). I can't remember the actual "G" designation, but in a nutshell the Army procures CRAP parts! (It's also 24V and the terminal is round post, not flat spade). PTC (positive temperature control) glow plugs came out for the civvy 6.2/6.5 like around '94 (+/-?) The Army still buys glow plugs that burn-out and swell up. :mad: They've changed the the glow plug controller (thermoswitch and control box) about six different models and still haven't got it right. The latest and greatest version doesn't even sense temperature (cycles the plugs EVERY time you start :eek1: )

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The next set of glow-plugs I buy will be 'Quick-Heats' from Kennedy Diesel. I have 60G's right now, and they've served me well for a couple of years, but I want to try Kennedy's to see if they'll get hotter and heat up quicker. I think the 60G's are just a little too cool.

Casey

8. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

All I know is that the literature from DIPACO who are Wellman distributors say that they are using Wellman Automotive Product Glo plugs in the HUMVEES

"WAP is also the exclusive supplier of glow plugs to the U.S. military for use in the Humvee"

Sourced from this PDF file http://www.dipaco.com/update/flyers/WAPFlyer-NoPricing.pdf

The HUMVEE uses different connector and they are set up for 24 volts so technically its not the same glow plug but they are still made by Wellman Automotive Parts.

Now maby they are complete junk thats why I made sure to state that Iv only been running them for half a year, but my exerience SO FAR has been great with them. They are dual coil self regulating and supposedly non sweelling. If they do not perform I will be the first to come on here and let you all know that they are crap.