Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand of 3/4"ratchet**Update 6/20/04

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stomper, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

What brand of 3/4\"ratchet**Update 6/20/04

I seem to have busted(shatered) my s/k 3/4" Professional Reversible Ratchet tonight trying to remove my kingpin /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I went for a nice rid across the shop floor on my a$$ in the process /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. It's probably 20+ years old and has been very good to me and my dad. I'm thinking of sending it in and see what they say, I know I've put more leverage on it than this without breakage. If I did get some other brand what would you suggest? Thanks,

<font color="red">Update: Well I sent the 3/4" ratchet in along with my 1/2" that had come apart some time ago. And to my suprise I got new 3/4" and 1/2" ratchets back /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I did some checking with my dad on the 3/4" and it had to have be over 40 years old. To say the least I am very happy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif </font>

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: What brand of 3/4\"ratchet

I would suggest a breaker bar, or an impact gun.

3. Stomper

My compressor is down right now and even if it wasn't I'm not getting a 3/4" impact gun and I don't have a breaker bar. Next /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think any ratchet will take the kind of torque you're going to need to get that apart.

Sears has nice 3/4" drive breaker bars around $40.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

SK should replace it, I'd think. SK, Craftsmen, and the like will be the best combo of value and quality, IMO. I don't want to even imagine Snap-on for something that size.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I always have used Snap On but a 3/4" ratchet is gonna set you back, you'll be on your a$$ again when you find out the cost. You could go Craftsman, they are lower quality and have a poor finish/feel but they have an awesome warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

are you talking about the bearing with the 1" Hex socket?

Get a peice of 1" hex bar bent and use it like ginatass allen key.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I always have used Snap On but a 3/4" ratchet is gonna set you back, you'll be on your a$$ again when you find out the cost. You could go Craftsman, they are lower quality and have a poor finish/feel but they have an awesome warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Craftsman may be of lower quality but I have had their 1/2" breaker bar on a 1" nut that was seized on. I used a 3' cheater pipe and was bouncing my230lb fat ass on it and the bolt snapped..still using the same breaker bar to this day. Granted the bolt was rusted a good bit and not as strong as a new one but I punished that tool and fully expected it to break. I was pleasently suprised.

EDIT: but I will say the craftsman teardrop ratchets suck teh nut. I'm using a couple stanly cheapie ratchets because I'm tired of running to sears every time I try to use one of their POS ratchets.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am very happy with all of my Craftsman hand tools. IMO, its impossible to beat the value.

The ratchets they're selling nowadays aren't anywhere near the quality they used to be, though.

I've had no issues with their wrenches that I have, sockets, or impact sockets. I have a complete set of sockets 1 1/4" and down, I own every 6 point wrench they make, the professional stubby SAE set, and an SAE impact socket set.

I really love Sears tools. I don't care what so called professional "mechanics" use. I love my combo of Craftsman, Ingersoll-Rand, and even my $50 Chicago Pneumatics air hammer have all been flawless in operation.

I feel so spoiled after years of using foreign tools to have quality, made in USA stuff, even if it's not Snap on, Mac, or Matco.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Sk has excellent customer service, they even replaced the rubber grip that went over the handle for my dad when it wore out after 20 years. You cant go wrong with SK, ive destroyed too many new craftsman wrenches working on my rusty POS, im still using the same SK wrenches that my dad used on his harleys and muscle cars over 25 years ago.

My vote, stick with SK. I wouldnt pay for one of their breaker bars over a craftsman, though, too much money for just a breaker bar.

11. Stomper

Thanks for the replys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif By the way I don't plan on using the new one on the kingpins /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The new s/k is about $150

I don't think they will replace it because the handle is bent from a previous runnin with a cheater bar /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I don't have a 3/4" drive set yet but when I do (soon) i'm just gonna spend $40 on this set from Harbor Freight

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think they will replace it because the handle is bent from a previous runnin with a cheater bar /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they will replace it.

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I would just go with Craftsman. Their ratchets are pretty cheap, and its hard to beat a no questions asked lifteime guarantee. I have taken many craftsman tools back to sears when they have broken and they replaced them without asking any questions. I also used a craftsman 3/4" breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater bar on the handle to tighten down the crush sleeve on my 14ff pinion. It didnt break or even bend, and the tires actually started turning because I was pulling so hard (the truck wasnt jacked up at all.) I had to rig up another device that didnt allow the tires to turn anymore. Once I got them to stop turning, I pulled on it even harder and it never broke.
    -Harrison

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

87BrnRsd is wright about the craftsman. I broke a 1/2" drive ratchet with the help of a 6' cheater bar and a buddy. I took it to sears and they gave me a new one off the shelf. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I work at Sears part time and we get "A LOT" of returns on ratchets, screwdrivers and tape measures. For sure not the perfect tool but who cares with free replacement. There is a place here that has auctions/swap meet once a month on Saturday mornings. Saturday afternoon and Sunday we get many returns on tools from people that bought broke tools and want to get new ones

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    who cares with free replacement

[/ QUOTE ]
    I care when I have to stop in the middle of what I'm doing.

18. bigjbear

I'd get the ratchet warenteed and pick up an SK breaker bar while you are on the truck. It will cost you about $5 more than a Craftsman one. I am extreemly pleased w/ my 1/2 dr SK breaker bar. Accually all my SK tools, including the ones that are older than me.

19. bigjbear

Also, might want to pick up a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor for those "just in case" moments.

20. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem removing that stubborn kingpin. Had to use a combination of the torch for heat and a 3/4" breaker bar. There is a crazy torque value for installing that thing - 500 or 600 foot pounds, if I remember correctly. My method was my 220 lb. body straining on a 3 ft. cheater pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif