Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand of 9mm ammo do you like best?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't know anything about what brands are cleaner, etc. Anybody have preferences? And if so why one over another?

Any opinions on American Eagle (Federal), Blazer (except the obvious) or Fiocchi?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Anything in .40cal......... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I shoot so much of it I buy whatever Walmart has begind the counter. They have 100 rounds for 10 bucks. I think it is Federal or Blazer, which both are basically crap but it shoots well enough for practice.

John

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Exactly. Cheap stuff for practice, the high $$$$ stuff for filling people full of holes.

I don't know if they have made quality changes, but Corbon sucked big time. I had some of that, it was +P+ something or another and that stuff was hot. Wasn't happy when I got home and cleaned up the gun, it got gunked up real bad by the Corbon stuff.

And last tip, make sure whatever you have for a carry round, shoot some at the range cause the practice stuff and the Corbon shot totally different.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

So what is a quality brand?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I remember Gold Dot was suppose to be a good load, there was something else that escapes my mind right now, think it had Star in the name.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I buy the el cheepo white box stuff. You have too clean your gun alittle sooner, but in my opinion, a clean gun is a happy gun. I clean mine every time I get home from the shooting range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have had excellent luck with Lawman speer. Make sure you get (FMJ) full metal jacket. They are much cleaner. If you have a semi-auto I have had bad luck with the CCI blazer, they ejected right back in my face.

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Well, between all the replies you have recieved they have eliminated all of the major American ammo manufactures.
    -Federal, CCI and Speer are all made by Federal. (lawman, Gold dot, blazer)
    Whichester- makes the white box ammo, or the 100 round packs at walmart.

About the only thing left is remington, the only thing i would shoot thay make is the premium line $$.

Stick with the Winchester white box or the federal American eagle for training. Its good enough for Uncle Sam.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I get the 100 boxes for 11.95 at walmart, they are Winchesters. Not to bad. Then they also have Personal Protection (FMJ hollow points) Winchesters 50 for $6.95.
    I use both. Also for serious target practice I have found the flat/bullnose rounds are more accurate /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i shoot cheap crap reman'd ammo from gun shows in my glock for practice.. for defense/carry, I use speer gold dot... 45 rounds of it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The big 3:

Winchester
    Remington
    Federal

My Browning HiPower likes American Eagle which is product of Federal. I do find that American Eagle is a little dirty but that is what my gun shoots the best so that is what I use.

Each gun will like different ammo, so try a few.

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I don't have a 9mm, It's a Glock .40 S&W....
    Anyways, for practice I just get the cheapest stuff I can find. Usually ends up being the Winchester stuff. Winchester makes a round they call "WinClean" or something similar. It's a TMJ- Total Metal Jacket. A conventional FMJ- Full Metal Jacket, still leaves the base of the bullet exposed. Bare lead. Thats what dirties the barrel. The heat of the powder burning behind the bullet as it travels down the barrel leaves lead deposits on the barrel. The WinClean stuff is totally enclosed. No exposed lead. Its about $13 for a box of 50 in 40 S&W. No idea what the 9mm costs. I keep a clip full of Federal Hydra-Shoks in it for around the house. $15+ for 20. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Both my parents work at Black Hills Ammunition. They are one of the best manufactures. And thats NOT IMHO. They make all the Navy and Marines ammo. They also just started a "gold line" which is hunting rounds. Their main customers are Police stations around the country and Cabelas, Basspro shops etc. It is a little more pricey (about .15 more a round) but its worth it. Every single round is also inspected. May be something to look into

16. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

17. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

They do make damn good ammo, and i often shoot there match ammo because i don't reload. Very high quaility, and consitancy. They do not make all the ammo for the navy and Marines. They make some of the match ammo that some shooting teams use. Not being an ass just clarifying.

18. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

We produce new ammunition for all four branches of the U.S. Military, including all current contracts for 5.56 match ammunition. We supply ammunition to most of the U.S. firearms manufacturers and many custom gun makers. Law enforcement agencies nationwide rely on our ammunition for duty and training.

straight from the website. Notice "all current contracts for match..." more clarifying. We'll get to the bottom of this yet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

The does make a big difference in the ammo they supply. The Actual Marine and Army rifle teams, not the division teams still hand roll thier own ammo. Mass produced ammo has to much deviation for them, it would make you sick to see how much time they spend making one round. But not to take anything away from black hills its top notch stuff. No need to buy thier new stuff the remanucatured line is just as good and a little cheaper as well. Its just a mtter of wording on thier part.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I must concur with my esteem colleague. The regular line doggy won't see anything from Black Hills, but I have read that there is certain segments of the military community that does get Black Hills ammo.

I've been away from firearms for a long time, just lost interest and when you are low man on the totem pole, a man can only pick one expensive hobby to kill himself with, and right now wheeling is mine. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The generic crap I shot in the Army was no way suitable for competition, since quality control is an unknown. If I was shooting comp, Black Hills would probably be my choice, but I wouldn't carry it or practice with it, there's plenty of cheaper rounds out there that fit into the "carry" role.