Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand of spray paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Nov 2, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Painting the Blazer this weekend. Good/bad experiences? I hear John Deere Blitz Black is good, but it's $6.40/can.

Thanks

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

rustoleum takes forever to dry. I use Krylon.

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

How about longevity?

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought 12 cans of krylon light blue that almost exactly matched the stock paint. I keep extra around for touchups. I am hard on my truck. the paint holds up well. I do my best to not leave any paint on the trees I wheeel through, but it happens. I carved my initials in the tree that smashed up my DD.:rolleyes:

5. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I painted my entire truck with $.99 Walmart paint...any scratches get touched up for cheap:D Total investment, $8..look on my wife's face = priceless...

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is what I used for all of my stuff. I have changed my mind and dont want flat black anymore and I cannot find a flat tan from walmart paint:(.

Ira

7. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Krylon has a flat tan. I used their gloss navy blue on my rig. I has done fairly well, and seems to be fairly resistent to egging (damn kids). Except for the roof where i didnt lay a heavy enough coat down and the old white paint is showing through now. Not to bad for though for three year old spray paint. I skimped a little on the prep work and some old rust is starting to show up again. I need to sand and redue those areas, and thankfully that will be cheap. Oh and their rust stopping paint, doesnt.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

several kinds..

I like Rustoleum best,but it does dry rather slowly--best time to use it is in hot weather,so it'll dry faster..its no worse than their brush on paint as far as drying slow,the liquid paint takes days to completely harden,but holds up well one its cured..

I've use "Magic" brand spray bombs that "Benny's" stores here sells for 1.25 on sale--it works well and dries fast,and is pretty durable..most of the 94 cent Wal-Mart paint I tried wasn't that great,only gloss black and white seem to cover well and hold up at all..

Other brands like Seymour,(who makes "Cast Blast,great stuff for wheels and motor parts you want a freshly sandblasted appearence on) and Plasti-Kote, Krylon,and Dupli-Color are all too pricey for my budget,and I was not impressed with Dupli-Color,its still laquer most of the time,(the "touch up paint)and is very transparent,and makes other paints bubble and lift sometimes..

I usually use Rustoleum in quarts or gallons,and my crappy spray gun,its far cheaper than buying spray cans--and the more I use it,the better I get at painting with it..my first paint job on my van had more curtains than a bedroom window,but now I can usually do a pretty decent job..I'm not very fussy when it comes to looks,I just want my truck to not RUST AWAY in a few years!..:crazy:

9. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

Autozone has a krylon camo paint that comes in a cool dark olive drab, and also a desert tan.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have heard of quality control issues with Krylon as in the paint with the same lot # not matching and looking like ****e

Ira

11. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

well it's a flat paint sooo??? the only problem I had was with visible spray pattern but I think thats an application issue.

12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

I used a total of 6 cans of krylon desert tan. Here is the result.

[​IMG]

I also did not use primer like i should have only scuffed the paint a little before i painted. I covered all the orange that was on the blazer. and all freehand. kinda looks like poo. but it did what i wanted it to.

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I was thinking paint at night while it's cool so it stays wetter longer, decreasing spray pattern problems with semigloss or gloss, then parking it in the sun next day to let it "bake".

14. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

This car was flat black primer and i bought about 12 cans of walmart .86¢ per can paint and it was like this for 2 years. Never faded. Corse it was never out in the sun or rain either.

[​IMG]

15. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I went with Rusto Satin...looks tuff. See build thread for pics.

16. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

hey we don't need your sarcasm here buddy this is serious paint talk!!:haha:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe in CA--not here!

I tried that--here it wont work,at night when it cools off dew forms on the fresh paint that isn't cured yet,and leaves water spots,and ruins the paint job in general!..I had to re-do my van because I painted it at 5 pm in august,and the next morning it was covered in dew,temps dropped to 50 degrees overnight with high humidity..looked like a spotted leapord!:doah:

I only paint on hot sunny days if possible now,in the shade--then move the vehicle into the sun once its painted..yes,sometimes it kills some gloss,but I paint things to protect them from salt ,not so much for show quality looks here!..:crazy:

18. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

Tremclad!

I used Tremclad/rust paint....8 cans. They have a nice fan spray, as others have a round pattern spray. I think it turned out quite nice! Here are some before/after pics. http://www.putfile.com/gmcjimmy

19. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Looks real good for spray bomb. Might try that.

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner