Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What brand subs in 10"??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 89GMCSuburban, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What brand subs in 10\"??

The guy at Best Buy recommended dual 10" subs for what I want in a sealed enclosure. He said a bandpass would sound lower but have a lot of overtones. He recommended the 10" Fosgate Punch subs. Would you recommend these too? 500 watts will be going through these things.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: What brand subs in 10\"??

Personally I think you're paying for the name more then anything else with Rockford Fosgate (RF) Go to www.cmttrading.com You can get some good deals there. I run a pair of 12 inch preformance tek subs I bought from cmt, they sound good, have lasted, and came with a 2 year warrentie. I just should have got a better amp.

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Fosgates are nice, BUT... for the money you will spend on those fosgates i would recommend the JL audio 10w0 or for more money the 10w3... Just remember you get what you pay for. It seems like a good deal to get the cheaper stuff at the time but after a little bit you will regret not spending the little extra to get better quality...

subs i recommend (in order of price/quality/sound output)
    1. jl audio (If you ask me its still the best boom for the buck...New w7 kick @ss but cost to much, look into w0 or w3 on this one)
    2. Alpine (type r)
    3. Alpine (type s)
    4. PPI (Im running these in my car right now and am very happy with them)
    5. Fosgate
    6.Audiobahn
    7. MMATS (Juggernauts... VERY VERY PRICEY BUT SOUND AWESOME)
    8. Kenwood, pioneer, polk, etc... (all about the same)

On a side note in case anyone in here is interested... The JL w6 have been discontinued... They are revamping the W6 to look like the w7 but will not handle the power or have the through the W7 has.. They will be calling it the W6 V2... keep an eye out for these... They are gonna be very popular with about half the cost of the w7's...

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm running one 10" Fosgate Punch in a bandpass with a 600 watt MB Accoustics Amp, (I know, not the BEST brand) a 1 farad lightning cap, 2 pioneer 6x9's, and an Alpine head unit. The sub/amp/cap combo have been in 4 different vehicles. And it stills thumps just the way it was when new. I would totally reccomend the Fosgate 10" Punch. Had mine for almost 3 years now. No probs. Blew up the amp once, but it was still under waranty so it was no big deal.

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I would totally reccomend the Fosgate 10" Punch. Had mine for almost 3 years now

<hr></blockquote>

You have an older model of the fosgate woofer.. As time has passed there quality has droped a little.. given that it is over 3 yrs old tells me that the woofer you have would be equal to there he2 lineup...

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd recommed the JL Audio 10W3 subs.... I bought the dual-voice coil 2 ohm ones, and "series-ed" the coils together for a basic 4 ohm load. They make other ohm ratings on the 10W3 so you can do the "Low Ohm" wiring if your amp likes that sort of thing.

There are now a few guys on CK5 who have "experienced" the stereo in my K5, and they'll tell you that even two 10's in an open top vehicle is PLENTY!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

My .02

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Greg you heard the new W7's yet??? Tell you what they hammer harder then hell... The single 12W7 i listened to was hitting harder than my friends 3 12w6's... hard to believe but it was... but at 800 per woofer they can keep them...

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Prem,

Haven't heard them yet......

Sounds like they are pretty amazing, but yes certainly pricier than I'm willing to spend at this point!!!!

I was hoping to find a couple of closeout 12W6s for a good price.....and leave things alone after that for a while.

9. ArizonaK5David

ArizonaK5David Registered Member

I have had fosgates, kicker, jensens, kenwood, and mtx subs. Two kicker comnpetition vr's kick ass and will go forever, unlike the fosgates i just smoked. MTX are another good bang for the buck, and if you ever take your truck off road, you should invest hundreds in subs, a little dirt in the buddy and consider it a noise maker. Anyway, i had great luck with the kickers and the MTX and MTX are pretty cheap and best buy or circuit city.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Here are some subs I found:

MTX 8104 - $145.95
    Kicker CompVR - $99.95
    Pioneer TS-W1041C - $109.95

11. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

I have 3 brand new Orion 2000 series XTR 10", I will sell for $100 each includes shipping and handling. Require .85 sealed or 1.25 ported, 500watts, I have 1 in my crewcab dually powered by a rockford fosgate 400.4 and it rocks.
    ebehrman@qwest.net

12. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i run kicker's sound good and hold up to very hard pounding. if you can swing the money run the sqared or epl..

13. Re: What brand subs in 10\"??

I have two 10" Kicker Comp VR's in sealed boxes, with an Autotek 500.2 amp pusing them and they pound! I am really pleased with them, highly reccomended. Later 80K20

14. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

for the money i like jl 10w0's.