Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What bulbs with Headlight Conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Feb 19, 2003.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I was looking at some bulbs online and all I seem to find are the high and low combo bulbs. I know I need the H7 type but it would be helpfull if someone would give me some part #'s on what bulbs they used. Also is the stock rating 55 low and 80 high?

Thanks,
    James

2. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I don't know on a H7 but on H4 and most other bulbs it's 55W low and 60 watt high standard. Which vehicle did you do a conversion on, your 91?

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Yea I forgot to mention it's on my 91.

4. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Hi, I think I can safely take credit for starting the whole headlight conversion trend on this board...
    As you correctly surmised, an 89-91 truck will use the H7 bulbs. You don't need specific part number recommendations - A search on google or similar will turn up dozens of H7 choices in all different colors (blue, yellow for fog, super-white), wattage, and price. You can use whatever you want really.

As far as wattage, the difference between high and low beam wattage is very small or sometimes there is no difference at all. What makes the high beams "high" is the design of the glass and reflector in the conversion adaptor. As stated above, there are many bulb choices 55-150 watts. Some of the cheaper bulbs on the market claim much greater output than they can really deliver, so don't be afraid to get up in the 80-100 range, as the true brightness will be somewhat less. Oh yeah, the H7's only have one filament per. They're not combo bulbs, which is why you need four. Hope this helps.

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't put over wattage bulbs in any plastic lamp assembly. Also one must be careful when using over watt bulbs; minimum you'll blow fuses like mad, worse case you melt you wires and bulb sockets and satart a fire. If you upgrade you electrical system with heavier gauge wire, relays, and sockets. you can then run overwatt bulbs safely and to thier full potential.

Standard bulbs are 55w low, and 65w high.

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I assume we're talking about Autooptiks, right? The conversions housings aren't plastic - they're metal. Also, you have to cut the plastic plugs off the factory wiring harness and solder or crimp on female blade connectors to fit the H7's. So there's no plastic anywhere.

As far as wiring, yes, if using true high wattage bulbs, it's probably a great idea to wire them directly to the battery with 12 gauge & inline fuse and use the factory leads to trigger a relay only. This is exactly what I did on my '90.

But my original point was that many of the bulb manufactures rate their bulbs way higher than actual output in order to attract buyers. If you buy some of the cheapo 100 watt bright white bulbs that are so popular right now, they are not going to be anywhere near 100 watts really and therefor, won't tax the factory wiring. In fact, buying 55-65 watt bulbs with any type of coating is likely to be less bright than even stock, so beware!

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Nope never heard of Autooptiks, until you just mentioned them. While you are right that some bulbs aren't putting out the output that they claim, many are. Bulb quality can not be judged by dollar amount or company name, PIAA gets premium $$ for thier bulbs and they have a line that claims higher output with less watts. Any way the safe bet is to use a relay, heavier wire and new sockets, Just by doing this with stock lights you will see a drastic improvment. Can you use overwatt bulbs with stock wiring, sure. Is it the safest and most reliable, probally not. Why spend the money and then do a job half ass.