Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what CAD, 3D, mechanical drawing software are you guys using?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Oct 16, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looking for a good CAD program to design everything from shock mounts to complete tube chassis. I have been playing with Solidworks a little.

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

My high school offers and AutoCAD class which I took for a technology credit so I use AutoCAD 2002i. Its a very expensive software package. If I remember correctly its at least $1500 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I recieved it at student discount price which was $300.

Evan

Evan

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a die hard AutoCAD user. Been using it for over 11 years now and love it. Bit pricey but it does everything. If I need to do any renders that need to be real detailed I just import the .dwg into 3d Studio Max and render it there. But ACad is very capable of high quality renders as well.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

AutoCAD 2002i from Kazaa = FREE

5. red66scout

red66scout Registered Member

I have AutoCAD 2001I, Solid Edge, Solid Works, and ProE, for whenever I build another machince with an Intel processor.

AutoCAD works alright for woughing out work, but I prefer one of the Solid modeling programs to finalize and test designs. With Solid Edge and Solid Works you can make the part move and get an idea on how it will perform. I have all bootlegs, otherwise I would have AutoCAD. $3000 for a full license whereas the Solid programs are about $15-10,000 and ProE is $25,000 for the full version.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I have Autocad 2000

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I use Lightwave 7 which is an animation package (modeler and layout apps).

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am currently using Microstation J at work which is about equal to Autocad 14. In the past I have used Autocad 14 and 2002. All of these packages are sedo-solids. Not much more than a drawing package.

I also started using Autodesk Inventor R3,4, and 5. It is catching up quick with other 3d modeler packages. My company bought that package with an upgrade to Autocad for $2000/seat. This is a sweat package for animation, interference detection, and more I didnt get to finish learning...

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm currently using MasterCam v9 to do all my design stuff. But I do have a lot of others, they are all bootlegged, but I got em that way so I could try them out to see if I liked them.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm using solidworks 2001. It rocks!
    I am in the process of designing a A-mod car (actually FormulaSAE but they let us run in SCCA A-mod) with it.
    I have been able to assemble all the parts and see where the wheels will hit the A-arms when steering and other stuff like that.

I have also used autocad/mechanical desktop and a bit of ProE(hard to figure out without a manual). I think autocad blows. I'll have to try installing inventor and see if I like it.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My current shelf has on it.
    Autodesk AutoCAD (all releases)
    Autodesk Mechanical (all releases)
    Autodesk MDT (all releases)
    Autodesk Inventor (All Releases including 6 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
    Pathtraces EdgeCAM software (for my machining)
    Architectural Desktop (Mainly for designing my new house)
    and a few others.

I get all the stuff for free. I'm an Autodesk rep /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, our SRP on AutoCAD is $3,395, Inventor Series (comes WITH AutoCAD and MDT) is about $4,795. Pretty dang good price these days. I'm honestly selling the FOOL out of it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm an Autodesk rep

[/ QUOTE ] Does this mean that you have demo copies available for uh, "prospective customers"? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I dunno /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I use SolidWorks 2001Plus...and I have been playing around with the pre-release of SolidWorks 2003. In fact, as I type this, I have SW2001+ open in the background here at work. I also use AutoCAD, but only when I have to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. For the price, it is hard to beat Solidworks, and it is the best 3D modeler out there IMHO.

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I started with AutoCAD 14 and now have AutoCAD 2000 like them for 2D drawings but not 3D.

For 3D modeling I started with Solidworks 98 Plus and now I have Solidwork 2001.

Most of the times I work in AutoCAD and then if it looks like something I want to see it as a model I draw it in Solidworks.

Pro-E SUCKS (i just cann't get the hang of it)! Tried to learn Microstation and couldn't get it eather. I'll try them both again if I get the chance. I am to fimilar with AutoCAD and then learned so Solidworks!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifI'll take some more AutoDesk stuff if the rep. is sending out free samples!!! Hint, hint!!! I try some bootleg if anyones offering? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got AutoCAD LT from work free to put on my laptop. I also have worked with the free 2002. MacDraw to AutoCAD11-2002. LOVE IT! Worked for Caterpillar for a couple years designing engine generator sets and bases, cooling lines, Fun stuff ya know!?

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I love those big tonka trucks. I use to get to play with them all day long at the dam in Southern CA. Got to love 'em.

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

using,
    Solidworks
    Mastercam
    Think 3
    Auto cad
    and anything else you might need

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Just to update this post now I've been play'n with Solidworks 2003, AutoCAD 2002, Autodesk Inventor, Archeticural Desktop 3.3, and Autodesk Mechanical Desktop. Hey Kyle89K5 I'm still waiting on that software?LOL!!!!! Can we use our K5 membership to get discount on Autodesk printed material? I'm trying to learn Arch. 3.3 by just playing with it. We have it in our class and since I already have an "A" for the coarse, I've been working on learning some new software. Any info is great Cmoe@top4x4sites.com

20. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

free samples
    il take some tooo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif