Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what cam, and stall with 4.10's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by francis, Nov 29, 2005.

1. francis

francis Registered Member

hello everyone, I am a 20 year old tech at a local shop and have worked on no proformance vehicles, and have no clue what to do here. I am the proud owner of a bone stock 87 tbi blazer. The trans is out right now (good ol' 700) and the truck sat a while before I bought it so it needs to be run to get the computer to "relearn". Anyway I have managed to get a hold of some vortech heads :D so they will be going on the truck. But what do I need to run as far as cam and converter? I want to run about 38.5 swampers and go play in the mud so i'll need a bit of torque. The rear will be a D70 and whenever I find a D60 front it will go in. the rear has 4.10's (I think) and if it does not hay hay 4.56's here we come.

2. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

by "converter" are you referring to torque converter?? and remember, the Vortec heads gotta have the tbi-vortec intake manifold- as far as i know there's only a couple around. and i know nothing about cams.. good luck..

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If you wanna spin those big swampers in mud find a BB. A built 454 would work like a champ. With those size tires I would definately be looking at 4.88's. I ran 4.56's with a 700R4 tranny turning 35's and it was perfect. 4.10's are for 33's and 35's without OD.
    I hate stall converters. Make it a pain when trying to go slow. Like parking lots, stop n go traffic, and slow moving on the trail.
    For Cams, call Comp Cams or check out the websight. They will ask you 50 different questions, (or you fill out a form) and they pick the perfect cam for you. Or look at Lunati's Voo-Doo cams or Comp Cam extreme energy or 4x4 cams. Probly want something around 214-218 duration @.050 with mostly stock components. And Edelbrock makes Vortec intakes.
    My 388 stroker with aluminum heads has a 230/236 degree duration cam at .050. Since the motor is bigger it can take a little bigger cam. But its also built for upper HP since the motor was originally intended for a 72 Nova. (Dont ask). My converter is only a couple hundred higher than stock, but thats just because with this cam I dont idle at 600 RPM. Im idling at about 800 RPM in gear.

4. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I think probably the most important thing to look at when picking a cam is to match the cam's power range to the stall your going to run. Basically you need to decide where you want your power range. Then pick a cam that satisfies that, and match a converter to it. Just know that stalls make a lot of heat in your tranny and its probably gonna get annoying having your engine revved up all the time just to move slow. BTW buy a BIG tranny cooler :D