Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what cam do i need

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Jul 4, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i am planning on putting a performance cam in the 350 on my 77 Blazer. What do i need to loook for? I dont know anything about the duration, lift etc. 270? what do i need. I want lowend torque and a sort of choppy idle. PLease help. Its mostly for offroad, mostly mud bogging, i dont climb or anything. So i want the drag cams. I want it to be a good price too.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say for mud boggin you'd want more of a mid range cam. Mud is all about R's and wheel speed. A low end cam is great for crawlin and pavement duties but starts to gasp for breath at 4000 or so RPM. Run appropriate gears and maybe a looser convertor (and a big tranny cooler). You'll need good flowing exhaust and a good carb as well, better ignition couldn't hurt either.
    Generally a cam that gives you that choppy idle is longer duration and more geared towards mid and high range than low end.

Call Comp Cams tech line and see what they recomend.

Rene

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

You can get a Crane energizer cam and lifters for just under $100.00, I have one in my truck now and really like it. You should call Crane and get them to recommend one for your application.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of doing the same thing.someone suggested a long duration mild rv cam.he said that this would give better torqe.duration would be good at 114 he said with a manual tranny.cant remember who it was though.i think the best bet would be to get ahold of a few different companies and not tell them you talked to any other cam companies and see what each of them tells you is a good specific cut cam to run and if they are relitively the same answer id go with the company you like the best.im going for a comp cam i think.please let us know what you come up with and how it runs.thanx/im sure there are others out there like us thinking about it already.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

did they give you a few different specs on cams or did they just recommend using the cam you bought?did you replace timing chain when you did cam?im just trying to think of other things i may have to do when i replace mine.also did you just replace the cam to the original spot or did you degree it for any reason?thanx