Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what cam do i want?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Dec 14, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I've got an 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. It's got a 6" lift, 35" tires, and 4.10 gears. I am almost finished building up my motor. It's a 350 bored .30 over with trw flat top pistons, double hump heads, mild porting and polishing, milled, edelbrock performer rpm intake, edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, headmann headers, crane roller rockers and pushrods, and dual flowmaster 40's. I need a camshaft. I drive it on the street but mostly take it muddin and rockcrawling. I want some really low end power and will spin the mud off the tires quickly. What kind of cam do i need?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think edelbrock has cams that work well with their performer series stuff.?.?.

Otherwise...go with a comp 4x4 cam. They're set up for good low end torque, and still maintain good engine vacuum.

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

theres also the new holly truck avenger cams, one of those might be good, the best way to pic a cam is to call the cam manufacturer that you want to go with and give them your specs and your intended purpose and they will point you in the right direction

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

comp cams 262 4x4 grind...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Try logging on to web sites for Crane, Comp Cams and such. Often times If you e-mail them you engine specs and useage they find some suggested grinds. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Comp Cams X-tream 4X4 Series (262 grind). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think the 262 grind sounds a bit extreem. I have a 383 and comp recomended me to use the 254grind. With your ap I would go with the 250 but call comp or use this link to contact their cam help department

http://www.competitioncams.com/catalog/078_079.html

wrong page but those are your 4x4 choices

http://www.competitioncams.com

That one will get you what you want. Remember the bigger the cam the higher the RPM. Not good for a daily driver 4wd with no stall converter.

I would also change to a performer intake not the performer RPM.