Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What cam should I run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Aug 10, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Well its time to get a little more pop out of my sbc. It's a stock tbi 350, running with a 700r4 with an HD kit, np241, 3.42's. Its a 90% daily driver 10% weekend warrior. The cam in it right now is bone stock and I really want more low end.

So anyways what im looking for.
    I want something that will get more power in the low end with out losing some of my top end. I want as much as I can get without breaking the bank or having to do any computer work.

So anyways what do you guys think? Am I asking for something that can't be done? what do you figure?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You'll probably want a dual pattern grind . Comp or Crane both have computer friendly grinds . Look into those . Also a freer flowing exhaust would really help with the cam .

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Which cam?

Check out the Comp Cams Magnum 260. It's got a bit more duration than your stocker, and alot more lift, and will be a good match for your O/D tranny, as the powerband for this cam is right where the tranny likes it, and it'll generate enough vaccuum so as not to screw up your ECM (Assuming you have one, since you mentioned computer work). It's available in hydraulic roller and hydraulic flat tappet grinds. Plan on upgrading your exhaust with this cam (Headers, larger pipes), and a good intake manifold wouldn't hurt either. :waytogo:

4. dogdaysunrise

well its got an aluminum intake manifold, but nothing special. The exhaust is pretty decent, its 2.5" y-piped into 3" and 3" running back, with no cats. I will look into those recomendations.

Thanks
    Mike

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Most people want more low-end w/o losing any top-end (except me) when changing cams.
    One way would be to install high-ratio rockers (1.6:1), this will increase lift around .025" w/o affecting duration and will effectively add power everywhere.
    Full length hedders and a tuned exhaust system will also add more power everywhere and when tuned correctly can add a lot of torque down low.

Modifying the ignition for more spark energy will also add more power while extending the rpm range and help make a noticeable improvement in torque down low.
    Not wanting you to shy away from a cam replacement but pointing out ways to gain more low-end torque w/o losing any top-end HP.

If you did all these mods and still wanted more bottom-end torque then i would consider increasing compression and changing cams. :bow:

6. dogdaysunrise

Thanks for the advice. There are a bunch of options I have to consider. Im moving to a new job, and Im getting paid out all my vacation pay from my other one (never took one) so any money I get is going to get thrown at the motor to spruce it up, tune it up, and make it stop leaking :doah: