Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can be done with a Dana 61F

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 4, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A friend bought a "Dana 60" for $500. It was out of a 1990 Dodge Cummins truck, and was advertised as a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears and he bought it.

After reading a recent post, I asked him to look at it closer and see what was actually stamped on it- 60 or 61F. He called back and it's a 61F.

He had a 4.10 ring, pinion and carrier out of an '81 GM Dana 60 for it. I searched but perhaps not thoroughly enough... but what differences between the 60 and 61F interfere with parts interchangability?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would pass it off on ebay and get back some of the bad sales you might have gotten in the past. :D

i read in hear somplace there is a bit of work to do the gear swap to the higher gears. i think it would be best to call a place like randys or reider racing. thats what the other person did and got the info to do it.

3. mountainexplorer

I didn't buy this one. He was going to re-sell it anyways. If it was a true 60 he probably could have gotten a fair amount. Being a 61F I'm not sure what it would be worth. He gave $500. So at least he didn't spend like $1000 on a 61F.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

*hijack on*
    That only works so well. You need to figure out an "effective ratio" One thatputs you close to stock as far as rpms to mph. Go do a couple calculations, for an efective ratio most of our rigs need 4.10-4.88's hell 5.13's. Just cause the gears seem tall doesnt mean they are. Also i know alot of the stuf my way doesnt require super low reduction, so why shoud i do it if i dont need it?
    *Hijack off*

6. mountainexplorer

He was going to use it under his Blazer after swapping in 5.13 gears. Then he decided to sell it along with the 4.10 gear set he had since he needs some money... then I ruined his night by bringing up the Dana 61F fact.

When I read that 61F's came in early CTD trucks with non-overdrive automatics and this one came out of a '90 Dodge Cummins with a non-overdrive automatic, it made me wonder.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

another D61 thread...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1447094

I agree, it does have limitations. However, 4.10+ ratio axles and OD trans command premium prices. And regearing two axles is also relatively costly. OTOH, highway-geared axles and the venerable 465 trans go for dirt. IMO putting your $$$ into t-case gearing (Doubler, Klune, etc.) is a better value.

8. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

i also got a d61 in my 83 f250 from the factory. ford vans also ran em.