Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can cause a front axle to go "off-center"???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It appears that my front axle is off-center by about 1/2". However, I am using the body lines/fender wells as a reference point. FWIW, the u-bolts are tight and don't appear to have walked one way or another down the axle. Everything else seems to be fine, too.

What else should I look at? Does anyone else's axle not look centered when lined up with the fenders? Like I said, I'm talking 1/2" out......:confused:

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

bushings would be my first guess--after that mabye body lines aren't right--I'd go off the frame.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

x2 Maybe different offset wheels:dunno:

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the body could be off center.

5. Can Can

The front wheels are identical.

Is this something that happens over time? Does anyone else have an axle that simply "looks" off-center, with no obvious signs of looseness underneath the truck?

From what I can tell, this isn't affecting the way the truck drives at all. I'm just so friggin' anal that when my truck isn't perfect, it bugs me. :doah:

6. 75k10chevy

75k10chevy Registered Member

Frame could be bent. My axle used to stick out 2" farther on the passenger side becuase my frame rail was twisted.

7. Can Can

Geez. I don't know how the frame could be bent. The truck only has 58K miles on it, all of it highway........:thinking:

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I tried measuring off body lines and what not to try and figure out if my frame was tweaked, and found that it was near impossible. Nothing on the truck was even close to being identical side to side. There are far too many variables on these things to get completely accurate measurements yourself.

Just recently crawling under my truck I noticed that the upper bushing in the rear shackle for the front axle was not even...the shackle was almost touching the mount on one side, and sticking out quite a bit on the other. I suspect if I checked the other side, it would look the same.

LONG straightedge from both rear wheels forward is how I'd check it out. But you'd have to take the tires off (tire inconsistencies) then worry about all the rear suspension components that probably aren't perfectly straight either.

Sucks being anal, but if the truck drives straight, doesn't pull, and you don't have weird tire wear issues, it's not serious. Could be a bushing issue, but that's pretty easy to see. Other than that, only people that could probably get accurate enough measurements would be a frame shop, last I checked that was serious $$ just to look at it. :(

9. Can Can

Like I said, the rig drives perfectly, Always has. I just don't like it when things aren't just "so".:deal:

When we're talking bushings, are we referring to front spring bushings? I may have just anwered my own question........:doah:

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I am...the bushings both in the spring eyes and the ones in the upper part of the shackle. My uppers (at least on one side) are obviously offset at least a 1/4".

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my answer is on the phone as we talk now. :D :haha:

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know about it happening over time but there is more then a 1/2" of adjustment when it comes to aligning the body. when it rolled down the assembly line they make the body panels line up with each other. if it bolts to the frame then its good enough. putting bigger tires on makes it easier to see the misalignment.

13. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Bent shackles? Unlikely if it's not a wheeler but worth a look.

Pic176.JPG

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

na can can has ord beefy shackles in it. him and i talked on the phone and we seem to think its body shiffted on the frame or a possible wrong wheel / backspace, as it has custom wheels.