Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what can happen in 48 seconds?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Dec 3, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you should know.

remember to check you smoke detectors people

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

THATS F'N SCARRY! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: .
    im get'n a fake tree this year.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have yet to see a pine tree burn THAT fast, much less that hot. That thing must have been kiln dried or something.

Oh yeah, I posted this on another site the other day about smoke detectors. Might prove helpful.....

There are two types of detectors: photoelectric and ionizing radiation.

Photoelectric detectors rely on thick, dense smoke, which blocks light from entering the sensor. In other words, the room has to be totally smoked out to activate. Typically, any type of home furnishing that smolders (i.e. mattresses, couches) will set these off before a pure burning fire will. They are extremely unreliable.

Ionizing radiation detectors use americium, a radioactive element. The use two small circular "plates" with voltage run across them. The space between the plates is called an ionization chamber. When smoke comes between these plates, the detector senses a drop in current, triggering the alarm. This type of detector is the most reliable, as it doesn't require much smoke to activate.

Sorry if my explanation isn't very good, but this is what I have been taught in my fire fighting certification classes.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you not wrong but not intierly corect, the photoelectric is better at flash fires, and ionizing is better at detecting smoldering fires.

also steam will not set off photoelectric so it is better to have in a kitchen were you would likely have a flash fire.

also remember that smokeing (in canada) is still the #1 cause of fire but it has been getting its ass kick and soon candels will be #1 this is atributed to the fact that the markit is flooded with cheap candels that are more proned to fires, so it your going to put a candel IN something (like a potpouri heater) DO NOT USE CHEAP CANDELS like the 50 tea pot candels for 2 bucks at walmart, they have cristals in them that can build up and then burst into flames, like a 3 foot flame from a little tiny candel!!! and NEVER NEVER throw water on an out of control candel, think bigger flame!

i took some fire prevention courses so we learned what little can cause a devastating fire!

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Chemical fire extinguishers are good to have as well, just stay away from Halon extinguishers.

Although Halon extinguishers are no longer sold, they can still be found in use (I use a 150-lb Halon extinguisher on the flightline, but that's in an open area).

Halon will displace oxygen, and poses an asphyxiation hazard.

CO2 and other chemical extinguishers work well on most fires.