Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what can i do to build power on a tbi 305

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lunchbox, Jun 15, 2006.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

My engine is on its last couple of months, and latley ive been trying to figure out a good combination of parts to make my tbi 305 a little monster i was going to do a rebuild already but does anyone have a good 305 combo?

2. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

contact tbichips.com that guy has some killer combos to make power with tbi motors.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Check out World Products 305 heads.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

replace it with a 350, and dont tell anyone. the smog nazis will be none the wiser.

5. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

350 swap is gonna give you more tq as well as hp but like everything else it'll cost money. Tbi kind of sucks for mods... I suggest you do EVERYTHING you want to do to it and then go get your computer flashed and reburned. What kind of numbers are you hoping for? You'll probably need a bigger tbi, manifold, fuel pump, better heads, and about 45 more cubes to get to anything significant.

Its been said on here thousands of times but I'll say it anyway... you can't polish a turd.

6. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

here ya are

you wont make good power with a 305 sorry unless you want to put 10,000 into it. get a 350 with 2.02/1.60 valve heads from some one or a junk yard and if your already planning on doing a rebuild get a 383 stroker kit from PAW performance automotive warehouse like 1,500 go, .30 over, 10.1:1 compression, edelbrock airgap intake, 750cfm carb, long tube headers 3" exhaust, rework the heads, windage tray, get a cam to match your set up talk to PAW or other engine shop.
    if done right you should be around 500 hp-500 ft.lbs:eek1:
    any questions let me know

7. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

I have 3 small "blocks" , 2 pairs of heads and 1 complete long block... let me know if your interested

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

for the money for a most worthwhile mods you can probably pick up a tbi 350 and probably have it in.

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't be hatin'

Don't just dismiss the 305 right away. My 305 has decent power, (DirtyJim knows) granted all the emissions devices have been removed. So what I have done is Weiand intake, Holley 600cfm carb (tuned correctly), open element air filter, duel exhaust, and ignition upgrades. I can break the tires loose with this setup. I will soon put in some headers and do 1.6 rocker arms so hopefully this will really open it up and I will see some tire smoke.

Upgrades I recomend to you:
    Ignition
    cold air kit
    headers
    exhaust
    fuel pump
    Holley throttle body
    intake manifold
    1.6 rocker arms
    performance chip tune

If you want to go in further:
    cam
    heads
    305 Stroker kit to 331 or 345 :bow:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

tire smoke isnt a sign of power. my 230K 305 would smoke the tires, but it was no powerhouse.

as for the 331, for the same money, you could have a 383, yet you're still 50+ cubes away. way to budget. :screwy:

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your bent on staying with a 305 try Vortec heads for the 305, and some small tube headers.

12. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

wow, thanks for all your suggestions but, today in my high school auto shop class i was talking to my teacher about makeing power with a 305 he told me that i should just find a 350 and do a rebuild on that, it just happens that as he said that one of my freinds was walking by and he overheard our conversation, his dad has a 1992 silverado 350 tbi engine from a crashed truck. the engine's just sitting around at his dads shop and he said i could have it. so thats the direction i think im gonna take. would all this work?

13. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

switching it to a carb would be the easiest way to go if not, get the computer and try to get all the wiring not exactly sure what all needs to be done with tbi, but i would look into it first.:D

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

should be a direct bolt in, swap the computer and the throttle body and i would upgrade to 350 exhaust. IIRC the 305 uses 2 1/2" single, where the 350 uses 3". 3" single is plenty for a 350hp or less small block.

16. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

how bad was it crashed? might want to look it over real hard before you make a decision...

17. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

regarding the crash, the engine was yanked and it has been sitting under a tarp for a year