Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can I do to make spray paint work better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 20, 2002.

I like most of us spray paint a lot on our trucks. Well a little while back I spent a good amout of time spray painting my tie rod. Like I took it off sanded it down to bare metal (wire wheel) put on three coats of primer, and then three coats of red pait. Well all was well until I presure washed my truck/axles/undercarriage and I noticed that I took off some of the pait on the tie rod. I was a little disturbed, and this is not the first time. What can I do to make this stuff last longer? or make it stronger? Should I put on more coats? less primer? Any help would be great. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you get the piece you are painting to bare metal, then just use Rustoleum to coat the piece, it is made to be sprayed onto bare metal or slightly rusty surfaces. Also, make sure to spray a bunch(3-70 of really thin coats about every 15 minutes in a low humidity environment.

2. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

also maybe try can of clear coat to keep it protected, did that with my rear end and so far so good even through pressure washing undercarrage. you can get it in spray can to.
    kelly

3. Ok thanks, so no primer sounds like the trick, because I was using rustoleum on top of the primer. I will aslo try the clear coat. Thanks

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Also make sure to clean any type of oil off prior to applying paint. Paint thinner or brake cleaner work really well to remove the oily residue.

John