Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can I do to these 52's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Apr 6, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Out with the old...

[​IMG]

In with the new...

[​IMG]

I plan on doing a shackle flip, maybe the home made variety. I'd like to get rid of that block. Is there anything I can do to my new 52's to ensure that they flex well? Flip the overload? They have one more leaf than my old ones, does this matter much? I was wondering if I could take our a leaf or something. Anyone else ever messed with them?

Then there's the shackle flip. I was looking at the tech article and it seems simple enough, but I haven't seen many people sporting the home made version. Hows the articulation and shackle angle, anyone ever have any problems?

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

put the 52s upfront.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Uhh....no. The main priority is to replace the broken ones in the rear, and make sure that the rear flexes as good as it can. I'll worry about the front later.

4. metto

metto Registered Member

i have the homebrew flip in my 86 right now. its held up to my abuse for 2 months now, and im doing it to my 77 this weekend. the only thing i would suggest is to weld some plate over the top of the hanger to support it. there have been reports on NC4x4 of hangers folding under heavy pressure.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i tried the homebrew style, kept it for about 3 days. rode stiff as a board, bad shackle angle. handled funny. more lift than i wanted. flipped it back and drove prerunner style with a saggy butt for a month, then installed ORD 2.5 flip. its a decent amount of work in a K5 since you have to drop the tank, but well worth it. i wouldnt suggest the homeade flip unless you dont care about a smooth ride, have no money for the kit, or dont want to go thru the work of installing new hangers.

oh ya, and flip the overloads for more compression travel.if doing it with a flip, it'll give you a smoother ride. at least it did for me.

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Looks like the fat leaf in your uninstalled set is NOT an overload, but instead an add-a-leaf. Use the overloads off your other pack instead of those, as to improve the flex/ride of the springs.

Blake

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

good eye, where did u get the new 52's? are they stock?

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Are you sure those are 52's?? They look like my 56's with that many leaves, I have never seen 52's with that many leaves before.
    I did the home made shackle flip using the rear front spring hanger, one of the best things I did to my truck, got them for $20, you can set your shackle angle so you get better ride and droop on the springs and they are so much cheaper than the ORD shackle flip.
    Here is a pic of my shackle flip
    [​IMG]

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, never seen anyone use the front hanger off the rear spring before. That's a lot of rivet removal, but seems like a much cheaper option than the ORD flip with about the same amount of work.

I was considering just leaving the stock hanger there for now, and reinforcing it on top. Does anyone have any good pics detailing the hole they cut through the bottom of the hanger?

I was kinda wondering about that bottom leaf too. I'll have to nab those overloads from my old ones. The springs are supposed to be 52's, got them from another CK5'er, but don't know where he got them. So is the overload swap and flip it, or should I try to take out another leaf? Wouldn't know which one to take out, or if I should do it at all.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You can measure the main leaf to determine how long they are. Don't measure in a straight line from one eye to the other. Make your tape measure bend and follow the arch of the main leaf when measuring so that you measure the entire length of the spring.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) use a cutoff wheel / bandsaw / angle grinder etc to make the end of each leaf (except for the one with the spring eyes, obviously) rounded, instead of square-shaped or 'frenched'.

2) use a flapper disc to round the top-edges of the now-round ends. It doesnt take too long to get these edges rounded and shiny as a mirror. Smooth is good with respect to bind.

3) paint them with graphite impregnated paint, or better yet, get some 0.030-0.060" thick UHMW-PE sheet and run it from end-to-end on each leaf, holding it in with the center pin and spring clamps.

j