Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can I do with a milling machine?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Sep 24, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just inherited a ton of machinest tools. A huge mill, 2 drill presses, buffers, grinders, micrometers, dial indicators...so much stuff I dont have it all sorted out yet. Not only that I dont know how to use a mill. I know it was used to level off gun slides in a gun shop. I have so many cutting bits/dovetail bits I dont know what to do with it all. There are 3 heads to this thing, one is a regular drill press head, and 2 others I have no idea what they do. I searched on the net for info but all I can find are the actual machines for sale. Any way WTF is this thing good for?!?!

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

what it's good for is fabricating nearly anything you can dream up made of metal. With a mill and lathe nearly anything is possible. The more you do with the tools the more posablities that will open up for you....

What I would do is become a machinists lacky... there is soo much to learn.... if I were still a young guy I would be trying to break into that field instead of the canary work that I do...

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

It's pretty much all worthless just box it all up and I'll have it shipped down here out of your way..hehe...congrats on that deal you don't have any idea the goldmine you just struck...take some machining classes at a local junior college, that will get you started

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Hummmmm, I might trade the milling machine for a d60......got one?

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

better yet learn to use it and make it pay for a d60

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

If you can get some pics and some brand names and model # I can probably help ya out...

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make more milling machines! A milling machine is one of the few machines that can actually reproduce itself (assuming a competent operator). A milling machine (my father is/was a machinist) is a very versatile tool as long as you know how to use it and have the raw materials to work with. Lot's of equipment I own/have owned had parts made for it on a milling machine (Thanks to my father)! I would keep it and start to learn how to use it and make lots-o-parts for your fellow CK5'rs /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Stomper- I should have it in my possesion after the 1st. Ill get back to you on the model and pics.

As for the comment about making parts for the K5 crowd...thats a great idea and one of the main reasons I may keep it!

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I'm am the head machinist at work, get me a model and I can probably help you out some.
    Of course I am the only machinist at work /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    We use ours to prep steel and aluminum test samples, so that we can test the physical properties of various metals, mostly for fab shop and mill quality control reports.

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I was going to say you could make some killer bongs and one hitters, but that was another life.

John

11. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I could use a spool for my 14 bolt?
    wanna fab one up for me?? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif