Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can I expect to pay for a custom dual exhaust system?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Feb 16, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

The 350 is almost ready to be swapped into the Blazer and I am aiming for an "end of March" timeline for the work to be completed. One of the things I intend to do is use Hedman longtube headers, which will require some custom exhaust plumbing behind them.

My part of Tennessee requires emissions testing and a visual inspection for the presence of catalytic converters, so I will need to have two high-flow cats and will likely be using a pair of Magnaflow mufflers.

Given $200 or so for the mufflers, what above that should I expect to pay an exhaust shop to fabricate the necessary plumbing and pair of cats? Would $300 be a reasonable expectation or have you guys found it to be more than that?

I am just trying to get a rough ballpark figure to plug into my budget and will actually go talk to some shops the closer it gets to swap-time.

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I paid about $425.00 total for my duals back in 99.
    Bill

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I just did mine myself. Really is easy to do if you buy a kit from summit with bends already made for the tailpipes. Takes a little while, a full afternoon, I enjoyed it though.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had a custom system made for my 'burb for $300. It's a cat-back dual (split after the, at the time, glasspack) and exits through two 4" chrome tips.

Nicely done system...fully welded around the "y" and tips. Muffler clamps at the muffler and cat.

If I had to do it again:
    1) no chrome tips (just more $$, add bling to my truck that really doesn't go with the rest of the package, and they're rusting so they look like poo)
    2) should have gone with a flowmaster or muffler from the beginning (would have saved money in the long run). Although I did love the sound of the glass pack on there.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Will they pass you with dual cats?

I know some places don't care as long as there are some present, and some states/locales enforce the "stock number only" laws. Just don't want you throwing them on then having to rip one of them back off.

6. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Will they pass you with dual cats?

I know some places don't care as long as there are some present, and some states/locales enforce the "stock number only" laws. Just don't want you throwing them on then having to rip one of them back off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thankfully Tennessee hasn't become quite that anal yet. I'm running two high-flow cats on my Ferd Mustang whereas it came with a mind-boggling SIX from the factory. So far no problems with the smog nazis. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I bought the hooker competition exhaust kit from summit for my truck. Only issue with it I have is that the tailpipes seem to be about 8" below my sheet metal behind the tire and I don't like that too much, but their really as high as I could get them because of the spring hangers and receiver hitch. Its a fully mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust. Part of the problem could be that I didn't use the headers it was really designed to go with, so maybe that threw it off, but I modified the pipe to fit my afterburners. The kit without mufflers was 125 dollars.

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I had a custom exhaust (mufflers not included) put on my 72 for 275. best 275 investment I have made yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am going to take the K5 to an exhaust shop on Monday and let them give me an estimate. It looks like from what you guys have said, I should be able to do this for under $500 with the mufflers and cats included.

Will keep you all posted and of course will post pics here after the 350 swap and exhaust work is done. Probably toward the end of March.