Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can i tow ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by River, Jul 7, 2000.

1. River

River 1/2 ton status

A good day to you all.

On my `89 K5 350 Blazer is a hitch mounted to the frame (chasis) of my car. On it are stamped the total weight i can tow and tonque weight but wich ratings should i go whit ?
    What is written on my hitch i typed down here.

hitch ratings
    dead weight:
    2000 lbs max trailer weight
    200 lbs max tonque
    weigt distrubiting:
    6000 lbs max trailer weight
    750 lbs max tongue
    Can i tow a trailer of 2000 lbs or 6000 lbs ?.

Can somebody give me a answer.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River 350/k5/th700r4/2,73/33

2. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Nice to hear from another K5 in Europe!!!
    According to german laws you are allowed to tow 750kg total weight without breaks at trailer, 2,7 tons with breaks.
    Max. downforce to the hinch is 150kg.
    As you should know german law sucks, so u can easily go for
    3,5 to 3,9 tons with breaks.
    Make sure u have hd springs rear or a lift system when u think of higher downforce to the hinch.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't tow anything over 2,000 lbs, what with your 700R4 tranny, 2.73 gears and 33" tires. You will burn up the tranny FOR SURE!!! 700s were NOT MADE for towing, no matter what ANYONE says!! The GM Engineers had a pretty good time when they came up with tow ratings for their 1/2 ton trucks with the 700 trannys!!

ken

4. windrider

windrider Registered Member

Remember to install a trans cooler if you are going to tow!

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

You can do both! With a regular dead-weight hitch and ball, you can tow up to 2000 lbs and have a max 200lbs weight on your hitch. If you have the receiver type hitch with a weight distributing ball mount (has the two arms that chain to the trailer and force the front end down), you can tow up to a 6000lb trailer. As far as the pros and cons of the 700-R4, I have one and stand by it. With a good tranny cooler and NOT towing in OverDrive, your 700-R4 should have no problems towing it's rated weight. Just my $.02

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have to agree with Brian on the durability of the 700r4. I just got back yesterday from a 2500km trip towing my trailer through the Canadian Rockies. My route took me over 6 of the top 10 killer passes in Western Canada, at temperatures between 28 and 35 degrees celcius. My 700r4 kicked ass- I didn't use one drop of tranny fluid and it's still a lovely ruby red. I might add that my 83(note the year) tows over 5000k a year, and has for the last 14 years, on the factory transmission.

The REAL reason the 700r4 has a bad rep is because people don't maintain them properly, and don't understand that you have to drive differently when you tow. They may not be the best overall design, but with care, a 700r4 will do just as good as anything else.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If I tow a small trailer, has 2 lawnmowers and weedwackers, frequently, would it put a strain on the tranny(700R4)? And would I need to install a cooler or temp guage?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

By the sounds of it, your trailer and load combined would probably weigh no more than 500 lbs. For that weight, I really wouldn't worry about coolers and such, but to be safe, I would only tow in Drive, not OD. Your tranny cools 60% less efficiently in overdrive.