Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what can i use to seal my trans pan?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jul 1, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What can I use to seal up the trans pan? The stock ones always seem to leak no matter what. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

For tranny gaskets, (so I don't get RTV in the tranny) I use a high-tack gasket adhesive. The adhesive seals the paper gasket so the fluid doesn't wick out, and keeps the fluid in the pan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

first do not use a cork gasket always use a felpro gasket second do not over tighten the bolts they only need to be slightly over snug or it will pinch the gasket and it will leak

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Make sure both surfaces are clean. Then make sure the flange on your tranny pan is flat. Most transmission leaks I have seen were from bad suface prep or warped transmission pan (from overtightening).

5. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What can I use to seal up the trans pan? The stock ones always seem to leak no matter what. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Torque wrenches are your friends.

Just like everybody else said, make sure the surface is clean and that the pan isn't dinged or dented. Then if you must use something, only use hi-tak to keep it in place when you start bolting it on.

Then thread every bolt, then hand tighten every one in a crossing pattern, and then torque them down in a crossing pattern in two steps.

If they have to be 20# (for example), go 10ft pds on each one, then twenty all in a corssing pattern. Then double check each bolt in (not in a crossing pattern) to see that they are indeed 20ft#'s.

If everything is clean and level, you should have no leaks.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

use the high tack, use it on both sides of the gasket.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

There's a little trick I use for that, as well as valve cover gaskets. Put a very thin coat of RTV over the whole gasket suface, including the edges, hang it to dry (basically turning a cork gasket into a rubber gasket). Once it's dry install in the normal way. HTH....

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've done the same thing for troublesome pans. Very thin coat, but I don't let it dry, just tack good... No cappilary leaching, and it will stick to the *slightly* deformed rail when the rest compresses slightly.