Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can ya'll tell me...Sidewinder winch *I have a picture of it up*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jan 21, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What can ya\'ll tell me...Sidewinder winch *I have a picture of it up*

I picked this up for free. It's old, old, OLD, but it looks like it'd pull something worth a flip.

Hickey Sidewinder

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: What can ya\'ll tell me about a Sidewinder winch

Do a search on "sidewinder" in this forum or maybe in the 2nd Gen forum. Grim and I were just discussing the sidewinder in one of them within the last week or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Sidewinder hasn't been made since the 70's, so parts would be nearly impossible to find. But hey, if it works, then the price was right! Take some pics of it for us! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Thanks bud. I got it free because the guy said he couldn't get it out of the "freespool" mode. So I picked it up and brought it home. Upon further inspection, the fork that engages the modes was bent out a little and wasn't contacting the button in the middle of the spool. EASY FIX!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing the ads in the old mags, sure looked like kick a$$ winch! Picked a jeep off the ground into a tree. Hickey used to make it, but don't know what happened to them.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Picked a jeep off the ground into a tree.

[/ QUOTE ] Jeep? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif JEEP? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif JEEP??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    You must now stay after class and write on the chalkboard 1,000 times: "I will never again confuse a first generation K5 with a Jeep!" Thou have blashemed against the great Blazer gods! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Jeep? JEEP? JEEP???
    You must now stay after class and write on the chalkboard 1,000 times: "I will never again confuse a first generation K5 with a Jeep!" Thou have blashemed against the great Blazer gods!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif that is too funny. haha i don't know what ya'll are talkin about because i ain't that OLD yet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif later

jacob

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Prob can't get parts so use it till it breaks then sell it to someone for parts for downpayment on 8274-50. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Re: What can ya\'ll tell me...Sidewinder winch *I have a picture of it up*

I just sold one of those for $100 a couple months back. Looks nearly like the identical model.

You gonna mount it under the bumper between the frame rails?

9. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Damnation! I'd love to find one! Oh, sorry about the je'p thing earlier. I gotta write where? All's we have are dry erase boards /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You silly wabbit, chalks for poor coke-heads.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

I was thinking of putting it on the flatbed in my Toyota. Thought it'd be pretty cool to have one up front and rear. I could put it between the framerails if I wanted to. He gave me everything for it, brackets, mounting plate, hardware, and even the controller.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you look at some of the old mid 70's brochures...you'll notice a roller fairlead where the license plate used to go...installed as an option from the dealer...mighty neat and tidy lookin. I'd like to find one still installed that way for the chalet...kinda cool how the factory did that.

Azblazer

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My very first vehicle was an '85 K30 that had a Sidewinder...10,000lb model. The truck had the original receipt in the dash for the purchase and installation of the winch from Central 4 Wheel Drive in Cali....So I'm pretty sure it was made atleast till '85...
    Anyways....It wasn't worth 2 $hits. The first time I tried to use it, It fried a bunch of wiring in the engine compartment. After I got that sorted out, I hooked it up to a tree on a gentle slop on my gramps property, put the truck in nuetral, and tried to winch it up the hill....Even with the truck in nuetral, it moved it maybe 3 feet at that was it....Sounded like it was tryin to have a baby. The design was kinda neat....Tucked up under the factory bumper.....Couldn't even tell it was there. Woulda been cool if it worked.

13. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

anyway you can kinda work up a wiring diagram of the controller? My Dad got one of these a while back and we never got the controller for it, I'd like to make one AFTER I finally talk dad outta the dang thing. any close ups of the controller? guess I should check the pic page

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

I can try to, but I'm not going to promise you anything.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I know where there's anothern fer sale. If there's interest PM me and I'll get you in contact with the owner. Came out of a full size Cherokee, brackets &amp; skidplate ought to be close to working if they don't bolt up.

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

Where ya located bud? I might be interested...

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that, hadn't noticed that box didn't get filled in. As it should show now, I'm in So. CA
    I think the shipping would be prohibitive, but that's btwn you &amp; the owner.