Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what can you guy tell me about an RTI ramp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Sep 3, 2001.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I am in the machining technology program at my local community colege

and one of my classes is metrology (measuring and gaging)
    and some time this semester I have to give a presintation on some form of measuring not used in the machin shop

so I thot what would be better than showing how to measur flex with a RTI ramp but I dont know all that much about them I dont even know what RTI means

so could you tell me what you know about them or some web sites where i could a nuff info to give a good demo on how one works

thanks guys

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

ramp travel index

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. It measures the amount of flex and assigns a number based on measurments taken when the vehicle can no longer proceed without a tire lifting.

the number is calculated by how far up the ramp the vehicle has driven divided by its wheelbase. A vehicle with a 100" wheelbase that travels 70" up the ramp scores a 700 on that ramp. Common ramp angles are 20, 23 25 and 30 degrees.

The ramp was originally thought up and built by four wheeler mag as a testing and comparison tool. The first ramps were 20 degrees, but as trucks got flexier the angles have increased.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

The problem with ramps, are that they can be cheated on, postion of tire on the ramp and the air in the tires, but hey they're a great way to check befores and afters when you've worked on the the suspension. I would be aware that just because you ramp a certain number doesn't make it any better or worse on the trail...I know of a truck that ramps better than my Blazer but I go places he never thought of.

Later
    Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Our club has a ramp...I like to keep the variables to a minimum when I ramp so I have reasonably reliable number to make comparisons.
    Our general rule of thumb when we hold a ramp contest is "trail pressure" is OK and half of the tire must be on the ramp.

I agree a ramp queen does not necessarily make a great trail rig though.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm>http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm</a> Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

thanks guys

I might even get an A

i thank i might make a min RTI to ramp my 4 wheeler on to help give my demo and get what I am trying to tell them a cross

once agine thanks

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>